Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree27Likes

Thread: Non-exploding Savage

ebf

Non-exploding Savage

Not sure I should be admiting this, but stupid lapse in concentration saw me using 2206H for some 7mm08 rounds rather than 2208.... One day when I am brave I'll get someone with Quickload to tell me what the pressure was for that load...

Things got a bit "interesting" during test shooting yesterday. Bolt very heavy to lift, got it open, um - no primer ! And a textbook extractor mark on the base... yikes

Guess who is pulling about 75 projectiles today ?

Two strange questions:

a) Is there any (cheapskate) way to fireform cases to my chamber without using projectiles ? Maybe some type of cardboard wad or plug ? Do I need to use normal powder, or can I use trailboss etc?

b) I have gotten losts of different cases from chrome and mossie (thanks guys). Some of them are a bit short in the shoulder, so what is happening when I try to fireform them is that the primer is getting a solid hit, but not igniting. I think the case is moving forward in the chamber to headspace and the primer is not getting a solid enough tap. Is there some sneaky way of makeing these cases go bang, or do I biff them ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Not sure I should be admiting this, but stupid lapse in concentration saw me using 2206H for some 7mm08 rounds rather than 2208.... One day when I am brave I'll get someone with Quickload to tell me what the pressure was for that load...

Things got a bit "interesting" during test shooting yesterday. Bolt very heavy to lift, got it open, um - no primer ! And a textbook extractor mark on the base... yikes

Guess who is pulling about 75 projectiles today ?

Two strange questions:

a) Is there any (cheapskate) way to fireform cases to my chamber without using projectiles ? Maybe some type of cardboard wad or plug ? Do I need to use normal powder, or can I use trailboss etc?

b) I have gotten losts of different cases from chrome and mossie (thanks guys). Some of them are a bit short in the shoulder, so what is happening when I try to fireform them is that the primer is getting a solid hit, but not igniting. I think the case is moving forward in the chamber to headspace and the primer is not getting a solid enough tap. Is there some sneaky way of makeing these cases go bang, or do I biff them ?
    A) shotgun powder (AP70) and a patch is often used to form improved brass.

B) don't be a tight arse. Bin it
    kiwi39 and blaserR8 like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Caretaker
    Buy a cheap packet of 7mm Sierra projectiles and assemble your fireforming ammo so it jams into the lands to keep that primer rearward as much as possible

Lightly lube the brass shoulder only with redding sizing wax to help fire form the shoulder should you chose a light powder charge

If you did not have excessive headspace then 15g of shotgun powder behind a one inch cleaning patch as a wad would have fireformed them.
    veitnamcam and ebf like this.
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

What's your load? Burn rate isn't *that* different so unless it was a hot load of 2208 you're probably not astronomically high
    nor-west likes this.

Believe me when I say that going up to the next faster powder at the same weight can have some serious pressure

Um. . Why not full length resize all your cases for a start and trim them all to length. If you are reloading and working up different loads then you'll fireform them anyway and for hunting i doubt an Un fire formed case is going to be a make or break

Put up a picture of the case please.
    steven likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    Um. . Why not full length resize all your cases for a start and trim them all to length. If you are reloading and working up different loads then you'll fireform them anyway and for hunting i doubt an Un fire formed case is going to be a make or break
    The cases are too short, not too long. So short that the firing pin cannot ignite the primer. No FL die will fix that.
    If you have an expander mandrel you can oversize the neck and from there form a false shoulder. Considering its mixed brass of various origin its bin material to me.
    Fire forming new Lapua brass still had a 2% fail rate for me so god knows what you will get with mixed bass.
    tui_man2 and ebf like this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

ebf
    VC, here you go

Name:  20141027_090804.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  360.3 KB

James, I'm going to try 7mmSaum's trick with projectile jammed into lands, just start load to make it safe(r) and see. What can I say, I'm a recycler

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    VC, here you go

Attachment 30506

James, I'm going to try 7mmSaum's trick with projectile jammed into lands, just start load to make it safe(r) and see. What can I say, I'm a recycler
    Those cases, I forget their brand, must be quite thick. They are more difficult to resize, and are hot with my standard 243 loads that are ok in other cases.

Those are PPU cases aren't they?
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Primer be gone!

You could superglue a new primer in and good to go
    Blaser, 260hunter and steven like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

AB Precision
    Throw them, for the sake of 15bucks for new Norma brass load and go by time you waste power and projectiles and time forming them for its cheap.

If firing pin not striking them one would think your chamber is long also. Most does don't let you bump them back that much from min saami spec.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    kiwijames likes this.

ebf
    Yup, Prvi Partizan in cyrillic = nny

I have a mate who uses clear nail varnish over the base and primer if the primer pockets are a bit loose. Keeps things together.
    nor-west likes this.