Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: Piece of shit fucking Redding Big Boss press!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My lee challenger did the same, and I polished the ram up but every time I more 9mm it played up. Now I use a hornady progressive for 9mm now the lee never misses a beat for loading hunting ammp

I didn't send it back because I had 100 9mm cases with powder in and needed to put the projectiles. I bought it from a shop in the NI and it would have been away for weeks. It works fine now, in fact better than ever.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MSL View Post
    Out of warranty I think
    I have had nothing but awesome aftersales service from Redding. I'd bet if you asked (direct i.e. US cutomer service) you would get a fovourable result.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

northdude
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    I have had nothing but awesome aftersales service from Redding. I'd bet if you asked (direct i.e. US cutomer service) you would get a fovourable result.
    My good old Lee just soldiers on

Quote Originally Posted by northdude View Post
    My good old Lee just soldiers on
    Same here, people give them grief, but i wonder if that is over the classic cast presses or the other ones? Ive dont thousands of 303 on a turreted classic cast press. Is the press good compared to the other or am i just lucky?

Gone But Not Forgotten
    Quote Originally Posted by stug View Post
    That's another thing with the press. I got a shell holder for my .404 Jeffery, it wouldn't fit in the press so I took the spring clip out, but it isn't Spring steel so it has bent out of shape and won't hold the shell holder in anymore.
    A few wraps of a rubber band is a lot better and doesn't have the tendency to push the shell holder out of alignment like the spring can.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    I didn't send it back because I had 100 9mm cases with powder in and needed to put the projectiles. I bought it from a shop in the NI and it would have been away for weeks. It works fine now, in fact better than ever.
    So send it back now or make a complaint direct? How's Redding supposed to rectify anything if they don't know about it?
    US customer service is actually real customer service IMO. Bitching about it online ain't going to fix a thing, nor does it give these guys the opportunity to say sorry and RESOLVE the problem.
    What happens if you have another problem? Sure as shit DED (Im guessing you bought it from them) aren't going to want to know you after yourve made an alteration to it.
    BRADS likes this.
    The range of what we think and do is limited by what we fail to notice. And because we fail to notice that we fail to notice, there is little we can do to change; until we notice how failing to notice shapes our thoughts and deeds

Bitching about it online was awesome, vented my spleen rather than wrecking the press like I was about to. It is now fixed and doesn't need to go back I haven't lost any down time of reloading, you guys have had an interesting thread to read now we are on the 3rd page, 31 peopled liked something and nearly 1000 people have had an interesting read, the forum is working and everyone wins.

northdude
    All because of a fukn piece of shit press we are special aren't we

Redding might offer to make your their repair guy

I agree Stug. Bitching is where it's at man. If you tell them how you fixed it, they might just fwd your method onto a spanner like me (who won't be able to fix it)

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    Here I was thinking my rcbs was built like a tank. How did you manage to crack 12kg of cast iron using your hands????
    I too, would like to hear the outcome of this!

Quote Originally Posted by kiwijames View Post
    So send it back now or make a complaint direct? How's Redding supposed to rectify anything if they don't know about it?
    US customer service is actually real customer service IMO. Bitching about it online ain't going to fix a thing, nor does it give these guys the opportunity to say sorry and RESOLVE the problem.
    What happens if you have another problem? Sure as shit DED (Im guessing you bought it from them) aren't going to want to know you after yourve made an alteration to it.
    Don't give Redding too much credit. I purchased a set of Redding Competition Bushing dies for my .300 RUM, and the bullet seating die was out of spec. It therefore wouldn't seat the bullet out long enough to get near the lands. I rang Redding and they claimed that the dies aren't out of spec, and if I was worried about it, then just screw the die body out an extra turn! I had the same type of dies for my .300 Win Mag, and they were perfect.

I do understand that a .300 RUM typically has a long throat, however, the .300 RUM dies (when measured) were 'disproportionately' longer in the body, than the .300 Win Mag dies. To remedy this I found I had to hit the micrometer with the lathe, and shave approx. 094" off of the micrometer bullet seating stem (that was about the maximum I could remove without striking problems) 'and' screw the body out an extra turn for them to be of any real, practical use! After that, they still screwed a 208 A-Max bullet down to SAAMI specs! The way they came from Redding, they'd screw a bullet way down so that the case neck was gripping it on the ogive, and the there was virtually no 'top end'!

The Redding technician then asked me if there was any other problem, to which I replied 'yes'! I further went on to speak of the horror whereby, when you adjust your micrometer dies up, you can then no longer fit them into your die box, and you have to resort to barbaric measures like holesawing the ends out of the box, just to get the dies to fit! He replied that's a complaint they've heard time and time again, and he'll mention it to the appropriate people, but further added, wouldn't be be easier just to take a reading of the micrometer setting, and then simply screw the dies down to fit inside the box? To which I replied, wouldn't it be easier to make a box 1/2" longer so all you need to do is place the dies inside and shut the lid?
    puku likes this.