Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Is it possible to Import Reloading Equipment from USA

Is it possible to Import Reloading Equipment from USA

Hi everyone,

Is it possible to legally import reloading gear from the USA, or will I have the FBI knocking on my door?

Any advise would be great.
    Thanks.

Have done so with no issues on small things like dies, tools. biggest problem is that most stuff is over the tax threshold in NZ and when I worked out the cost it was cheaper to buy locally.
    What are you planning?

P38
    Yes

Check out these guys
    Lee Reloading Supplies & Equipment | Titan Reloading | Lee Distributor

http://www.factorysales.com/

I have imported quite a bit of reloading gear from both over the years with no worries

Cheers
    Pete
    stumpy likes this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

yep don't think you can get brass and projectiles (could be wrong) but gear is fine I have brought in dies and bullet molds fine

At this time I need everything except scales. Wife purchased a hornady beam scale for my Christmas prezzie, my first bit of kit.
    Dead is better likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by kiwiazonic View Post
    At this time I need everything except scales. Wife purchased a hornady beam scale for my Christmas prezzie, my first bit of kit.
    What are you reloading for?
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

With the exception of my 1975 vintage press and my AnD scales, I have purchased all my dies, various tools, Chargemaster, some specific brass and lots of projectiles from the States. More recently have also purchased dies from Australia. But, it pays to price locally first as a small saving going off shore is not worth the hassle.

Over the years a fluctuating (lower) exchange rate has also made it not viable.

The stuff I have got in the past was generally not available in NZ at that time. The brass definitely not available in NZ and the projectiles massively cheaper than NZ prices.

Ebay has some good bits as well. Unfortunately though some sellers will not ship to NZ. A mate recently picked up an Ohaus 10-10 scales in excellent condition for a real good price. Cheaper than less good condition ones that had sold on TM at around the same time.

Julian at Workshop Innovation would rate as the best source locally. Top guy.
    Jason trading as ozark1 on Tardme is also excellent.
    Last edited by zimmer; 04-01-2017 at 08:19 AM.
    Dead is better and mikee like this.

What no-one has mentioned is the bigger practicality issue, namely that many US online retailers don't accept foreign credit cards. The fraud issue is too big for them to ignore. That's why I leave funds with a mate in the US and bring back projectiles each time I'm over there. As Zimmer said, waaay cheaper.

The other issue is freight costs. They have wiped out surface as an option so you're looking at air everything, and it isn't really cheap. My gunsmith mate can get tooling very cheap over there but the freight often works out twice the cost of the goods.

Titan are great to deal with. They ship first class mail, and it's fast and relatively cheap. Basically only have Lee though, although nothing wrong with most Lee stuff if you understand how it works. It's a bit like savage of the reloading world - not pretty but pretty bloody effective (with a few flops along the way, but a lot of companies are guilty of that one).

Thanks for the info everyone.
    I'm going to be reloading for my Tikka 7mm-08 Rem bushpig, and my Hardy/Kiwi Composite Tikka in 7mm Rem Mag which is currently being built.

I'll definitely look local before ordering from overseas.
    I've been looking into purchasing a Hornady iron press kit, but they are $1270 NZD locally, but in the USA they are $490 USD on sale!!
    It would be interesting to see how much it would cost after paying shipping, duty and Grab Snatch & Take (GST).

Maybe I should just buy a $260 Lee kit from reloaders?

Get a Lee cast classic (workshop innovations prob your best bet). And add bits from there. In saying that, you'll get a long way with the kit too. I had a Lee kit, but pretty much replaced everything now.

Think of the kit as a pathway drug...

Find what you want locally (if you can) and in US.

Price your stuff from US, add freight and if over NZ$400 GST. Compare prices.

You may find once shipping and GST is added you're not saving much.

Support our local distributors/dealers where you can - if you don't we won't have any.
    HNTMAD likes this.

The Bricks and Mortar versus overseas has already been thrashed to death in so many previous threads so I won't rant on this occassion why it is that I don't always buy from BnM.
    P38 and MassiveAttack like this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    The Bricks and Mortar versus overseas has already been thrashed to death in so many previous threads so I won't rant on this occassion why it is that I don't always buy from BnM.
    Seriously if the costs are almost equal you still won't support your local business?

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Seriously if the costs are almost equal you still won't support your local business?
    Sigh....I was determined not to end up reopening old thread themes. Please read my original post where I recommend 2 good locals (admittedly not true B and M sellers) and also I stated “But, it pays to price locally first as a small saving going off shore is not worth the hassle”.