Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Is it possible to Import Reloading Equipment from USA

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Seriously if the costs are almost equal you still won't support your local business?
    Not if they're dicks with terrible customer service, no, I won't. If they look after me, that's a different matter (e.g. I will happily pay a few bucks more at gunworks or even shooters supplies). No business gets my custom as of right.

P38
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyclops View Post
    Seriously if the costs are almost equal you still won't support your local business?
    Of course we wouldn't @Cyclops

I'd love to buy local every time I purchase something.

Trouble is local guys don't seem to stock what "I Want" and/or are not interested in what "I Want".

As a result I have landed online stuff from the US and China for a fraction of what local prices would have been and the goods generally arrive quicker too.

I best not start either.

Cheers
    Pete
    mikee, Steve123, Glycerine and 1 others like this.
    Arguing with an Engineer is like Wrestling a Pig in Mud.

After awhile you realise the Pig loves it.

I've never had a problem using my Nz credit card to buy reloading gear from Sinclairs International, the freight from the states can be a bit pricey but you don't pay there sales tax. If it's under $400nz you won't get stung for gst or customs charges.

Workshop innovation would be be my pick locally.
    mikee, Beaker and .300 RUM Guy like this.
    Shut up, get out & start pushing!

I order a bit from track of the wolf (black powder gear)
    Have ordered dies etc from brownells not an issue
    Depends on the site there are some like midway usa that don't ship outside the usa

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by 7x64 View Post
    Not if they're dicks with terrible customer service, no, I won't. If they look after me, that's a different matter (e.g. I will happily pay a few bucks more at gunworks or even shooters supplies). No business gets my custom as of right.
    After sales service is generally better when you buy from the states. E.g. if you send a Leupold scope back for warrenty work through the NZ agent they charge you $55 per scope and it takes six months cause they like money and are slow. If you send it directly back to Leupold in the states ($20 postage with insurance for two scopes) and it comes back in a few weeks. So for two scopes it's $110 \ six months vs $20 \ four weeks.

Not all NZ business have bad service, I use the ones you mention but most are terrible in my experiance.

I bought my Hornady Classic kit - first and only one.....so far - from Hunting & Outdoors last year, just a couple of streets away (NZD1100 odd including case length sizer, dies and some other bits).
    Original kit quoted/supplied at NZD750 - but had to wait 6-8 weeks before it arrived.
    Appreciate that o'seas can appear cheaper, but Customs want their 'pound plus' on purchase price and o'seas freight (don't know what exchange rate they use, but it seems pretty fierce), plus the exchange rate on the original purchase & freight.
    Saving was about $100 from o'seas, but local purchase made it easier (no Customs sh#te to worry about), and got local backup if required.

Cabellas took a little bit of effort to get around the std BS with the credit card issue. I had to supply a letter from BNZ which I believe they actually verified on the phone from the USA end. Now 3 years on I see my rcbs full kit on WSI for $50 more than I paid.... There's no way I'd hedge the risk on that sort of margin. Local for sure.

What's this CC BS? I have dealt with maybe a dozen or more American companies over the years and have never experienced any CC issues. Worst that I have had is a lot charge 5% for foreign cards but I usually factor that in along with shipping, potential gst and the 40 odd bucks bio fee b4 going ahead (assuming the saving is worth while) with the transaction. If there is some sort of hassle from them re CCs there are plenty of other good outfits to deal off instead. I am also amazed that it seems some people don't cost out the whole exercise plus seem unaware of the gst/fees threshold and then appear disgruntled when hit. Also reloading gear does not attract duty. It will attract payable gst and the bio fee if the gst exceed $60. The Customs people as much as we may dislike them are just doing their job.
    Beaker likes this.

The only incident I am aware off with a CC was a kiwi mate of mine with an American CC tried to order some stuff. They picked up on the fact that the order was originating from NZ but the CC was not NZ. They advised him they suspected him of fraud and blacklisted him.

Ordering out of the states is good if you can get things delivered cheaply. I'm lucky to have a mate bring me over a forster CO-ax and various other bits to make a full set. Equivalent savings was about 30% of what the NZ cost would have been, although it was all brought through AKL airport and customs didn't care about it, so lucky I didn't get stung with GST and duty. so well worth it. However I have a US CC from when I lived there which helps. I think you need to have the ability to buy in the US and then avoid customs when bringing it in, Hopefully some one can bring it in their baggage.

There was no issue with bringing in projectiles or reloading gear. US feds don't care about reloading gear, and neither do NZ so it seems. I have had an issue buying a scope out of the US and had to fill out a form saying NZ is not a terrorist harbouring country, haha

Gunstop Reloading Supplies & Ammunition

never had problems with them

Love the SIGH......zimmer

Just tried to order stuff from Midway, they said no, outside the US.
    Weird 'cause DNZ said yes no problem. Got a mount here for about $150 NZ, couldnt get one here but its comparables were $250
    kiwiazonic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    I've never had a problem using my Nz credit card to buy reloading gear from Sinclairs International, the freight from the states can be a bit pricey but you don't pay there sales tax. If it's under $400nz you won't get stung for gst or customs charges.

Workshop innovation would be be my pick locally.
    My current RCBS Rockchucker Supreme Press was purchased locally at Collings and Bradey, however, almost everything else 'reloading' was bought, mostly through Sinclair International. No CC issues, and as you say, provided it is under NZD$400 (including freight costs) then there's no GST. I've also found what Pete's experienced, most local guys don't 'stock' what I want, and are not particularly interested, and/or, it's usually cheaper importing it yourself anyway, GST, freight, the lot included. I don't think I've bought any reloading gear from overseas yet, where it's been more expensive than local!