Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Powder Scales

Powder Scales

So what scales do you guys use?

I currently have a Lyman balance beam, but it seems to be starting to having problems with sticking. And it is making me trust it less and less.

So now I am looking towards getting a new set. Not sure if I should keep with the balance beam, or go to a digital setup for easier use.
    I love all animals.........especially with gravy

Got the same, pretty old but works well for me. Check that the balance points are clean and that the copper tab at the pointy end is not rubbing on the body........
    Machete don't text!
    (.)(.) = :-)))

Yeah I have checked both of those. Its just a bit concerning when I am loading a bunch of rounds, and I look into the cases and a couple look over filled. I then re weigh the powder, and it is a full grain heavier. This isnt too much of a problem with my bush rifle, as the loads are soft. But with the new 7mm Mag, things could get interesting.
    I love all animals.........especially with gravy

Ages ago I got talked into a Lyman DPSII
    It cost heaps but it was worth it in long run.
    I have put the upgrade kit in it & it is great.
    The Chargemaster is suppossed to be better.

Hornady balance scales & a Lyman

I have the same ones,give them a real good clean on the pivot,make sure there is no breaze in the room(even breathing on them stuffs them up) I dump close to charge in with a scoop and then as tricleing in the last bit keep giving it a little tap to be sure they are not sticking.
    Either that or throw them away and take gregs advice:grin:
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

That reminds me, I need to do a Tussock and shoot the 'hunk a crap' Lee balance scales that sitting spare in the box sometime.
    Welcome to Sako club.

I have Hornady balance scales, I use a Lee powder thrower and throw a few points light then trickle up. Pretty quick and cheaper than a chargemaster. Also easier to deal with if you go over fractionally.

Quote Originally Posted by outdoorlad View Post
    Hornady balance scales & a Lyman
    I have a speaker sitting on the bench listening to muic while I load, the gentle knock of the beat prevents any hang up on teh scales and saves you tapping them all the time

Quote Originally Posted by horihunter View Post
    I have a speaker sitting on the bench listening to muic while I load, the gentle knock of the beat prevents any hang up on teh scales and saves you tapping them all the time
    nice.

Chargemaster mostly but I still have my original set of lee balance scales i use for the odd small run, never found them a problem at all.

Chargemaster is a sweet setup, its on the list!! I have been using these bad boys for a while to see if the powder charge actually makes that much difference (weighing to 0.0001 grams or 0.002 grains) - results are that super accurate weighing makes NO difference at all in my current setup. Might be the last little step to shave off a poofteenth of a MOA from your BR rig but even from my stupid accurate varminter there is no observable / measurable difference accross a number of groups shot. Of interest I have put them side by side with an ancient RCBS (?) set and the old greenies are pretty good!

Name:  scales.jpg
Views: 691
Size:  37.0 KB

Was going to do "individually weight sorting powder grains for true shot consistency" as my April 1 gag - might try that on the D.S?

DAF
    This unit looks like the go for those with big budgets
    http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/...0005-of-grain/

I've got a Hornady GS-1500 electronic scale that is ok, but was having trouble using it in winter with it wandering. So bought a RCBS 505 scale and its GOOD! Just drop a load short of required with my piece of shit Lee Powder measure and trickle up to weight.

This came throught the other day bloody good deal ,,,,,,thinking i need it haha
    http://www.natchezss.com/product.cfm...n=11172011RCBS
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL