Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Powder trickler advice

I discovered last night (after buying a digital scale) that my Lee thrower fluctuates up to ~0.7 grain!

Am now weighing every charge

I'm finding regular (analogue?) thrower, onto digital scale with the trickler parked next to for topping up it is pretty quick, and a shitload cheaper.

DAF
    Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Where do you go/what do you do with a case that doesn't feel like the others to seat?
    do you anneal regularly or even every firing and if so if you get a case that "feels" different to seat do you discard or anneal the whole batch or just that case or what ?

Lots of us do the most that we can to keep stuff consistent (usually with initial brass prep) but what do you as a competitive shooter do with brass that feels "different" ?
    bin it/batch it/try and fix it?
    The cases that don't feel right get marked with a coloured marker and used for a first fouler if there is not many if a few they get marked put to the side and used to learn from. Eg try shooting a string with em and see what they do. I've found putting them to the side is a good move

I don't have an annealing machine but have borrowed a mates
    It makes a difference and I have found for me, on the third firing it's time to anneal as this is my tipping point.

Having a tight neck and running 2 thou clearance I believe helps with this as a once fired case I can't just push the bullet into the case (just my theory, I guessing there are lots out there)
    I kind of believe in consistent as possible neck tension, and I like it to feel like erm... Pushing a knife through soft butter (hope that makes sense lol)

I also rotate through my cases evenly so each goes through a full rotation then back to the start so no case is more used then another.

I'm making 300 x 7mm300WSM cases next week I can post up my process and tools if ya interested, a bit of work but I believe worth it for comps although it's become a habit with all my brass
    Kscott, veitnamcam, BRADS and 1 others like this.
    "Such is life..." - Ned Kelly

Yes post it up I am sure many of us will be interested.
    Malhunting likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.