Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By GWH
  • 1 Post By Kiwi Greg

Thread: Quickload help please

Quickload help please

I am working up a load for my 6.5x55 and I was hoping someone could help me by running some numbers in quick load?

The load with best accuracy is a 123gr amax BC 0.510 with 45.5gr of AR2209 in PMC brass. Just trying to find out a ball park MV. Barrel is a standard 22" howa 1:8 twist but I do have a gunworks suppressor as well.

As a reference my old load was a 140gr accubond in the same brass using 43.0gr of AR2209 producing about 2540fps

On another note has anyone else had any experience with published BC of this projectile it seems a little optimistic.

Thanks!

MSL

Will also depend on CoL, but close enough to 2760 ft/sec, pressure peaking at 51kPSI. Looks like quite a good place to be if accuracy is also good. The 140gr load was milder than this with a fair bit of room to move should you have wanted to.

Thanks very much for that @Puffin! That's around where I was hoping.

I tried the 140gr up to ~45gr if I remember rightly but didn't get good accuracy before I got sticky bolt lift and ejector marks.

I see some of the loads other people run and wonder how they can get so much powder in, such high velocity without pressure signs. Maybe its my brass.

GWH
    Quote Originally Posted by sparky1000 View Post

I tried the 140gr up to ~45gr if I remember rightly but didn't get good accuracy before I got sticky bolt lift and ejector marks.

I see some of the loads other people run and wonder how they can get so much powder in, such high velocity without pressure signs. Maybe its my brass.
    I'm at 46.5gr 2209 with the 143g eldx, great accuracy and 2780 fps. Running long coal in lapua brass.
    Hunt4life and sparky1000 like this.

I am working up a load for my 6.5x55 and I was hoping someone could help me by running some numbers in quick load?

The load with best accuracy is a 123gr amax BC 0.510 with 45.5gr of AR2209 in PMC brass. Just trying to find out a ball park MV. Barrel is a standard 22" howa 1:8 twist but I do have a gunworks suppressor as well.

As a reference my old load was a 140gr accubond in the same brass using 43.0gr of AR2209 producing about 2540fps

On another note has anyone else had any experience with published BC of this projectile it seems a little optimistic.

Thanks!
    Litz, 123 Amax, G1 BC .467, .239 G7

Hi mate, what rifle is this in? I too use 46.5 of 2209 with the old but better 140 Amax but it's a modern 6.5x55 and I did start at 45.5 and loaded up. No sign of pressure in lapua brass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M

Thanks for the responses everyone!

@Kiwi Greg - That BC looks more realistic for a 123gr projectile!

@Danny & @GWH - I have a Howa 1500 with a full length 22" Barrel and a Gunworks suppressor. What rifles are you both running? I have seen a lot of people with Tikka T3's that seem to be able to get incredible speeds from the 6.5x55 but I am unsure if its a stronger action or if its because they are using Lapua Brass. I thought when I was getting my PMC brass I was getting a good deal... Maybe that is whats holding me back.

I have tried the 140gr amax as well, accuracy sweet spot was 44.0gr and pressure signs at 46.0gr (Flattening primers, ejector marks).

I will check my Overall length and my Length to ogive tonight when I get home and clear the way to my reloading bench.

GWH
    Thanks for the responses everyone!

@Kiwi Greg - That BC looks more realistic for a 123gr projectile!

@Danny & @GWH - I have a Howa 1500 with a full length 22" Barrel and a Gunworks suppressor. What rifles are you both running? I have seen a lot of people with Tikka T3's that seem to be able to get incredible speeds from the 6.5x55 but I am unsure if its a stronger action or if its because they are using Lapua Brass. I thought when I was getting my PMC brass I was getting a good deal... Maybe that is whats holding me back.

I have tried the 140gr amax as well, accuracy sweet spot was 44.0gr and pressure signs at 46.0gr (Flattening primers, ejector marks).

I will check my Overall length and my Length to ogive tonight when I get home and clear the way to my reloading bench.
    Yeah mines a T3 and Lapua brass.

Just checked my COAL, its 2.937" give or take 0.001" its got quite a jump to the rifling, but this little amax doesnt seem to mind.

The Accubond load was 3.050" 77.48mm it was before I had my Hornady OAL gauge, so not sure how far off the lands it was.