Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: RCBS Chargemaster 1500 problem??

Baz

RCBS Chargemaster 1500 problem??

Just got in a RCBS chargemaster 1500 from Natchez shooting supplies. Delivery, customs etc all fine.

Had a play with it the other day and something seems a miss??

After programming the load, pressing dispense it will run full speed most of the way, then slows close to the load and then stops and is supposed to trickle to the actual load.

But here is the problem. It wont trickle at all. I can hear the motor making a faint noise like it is trying to trickle, the stable light flashes each time it tires to trickle. Does not matter how long I leave it it wont trickle the last .5grn or so. It will beep to say its finished if it gets to the load by tapping the dispense tube.

Manually pressing the trickle button gets no response either......

Tired restarting it a few times nothing?

Anyone else had a problem similar? Will I need to send it back to Natchez or can the NZ RCBS agent help sort it for me?

A bit pissed of to say the least

Baz

sounds strange - mine rocks! so it cant throw a full load at at and always .5gr off -add extra .5 --I often have to take some kernels out with a finger tip-lick first
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Baz
    Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    sounds strange - mine rocks! so it cant throw a full load at at and always .5gr off -add extra .5 --I often have to take some kernels out with a finger tip-lick first
    The unit wont get to the programmed charge by itself. I would assume yours will dispense intermittently when it is in trickle mode? myne wont move at all when in the trickle stage but makes a fiant noise??

From memory it gets within .5-.2gr from desired load and sits there making the faint nose like it is trying.....

El B, where did you get yours from? I was hoping myne would rock to.....

Impure Lead Flinger
    They do rock....

Have you zeroed it and calibrated it?
    Check the booklet for a factory reset?

You can fiddle with the settings to regulate how it trickles, this could be your problem... buggered settings

PM Spanners he knows how to do it

I got mine in Reloaders Auckland --no easy fix other to do a little manual work adding the extra grains- even with mine it throws above desired weight often ,no major just subtract a little
    Tweed or not to Tweed that is the question

Impure Lead Flinger
    Quote Originally Posted by el borracho View Post
    I got mine in Reloaders Auckland --no easy fix other to do a little manual work adding the extra grains- even with mine it throws above desired weight often ,no major just subtract a little
    if i use ball powder shes always perfect....
    If I use spherical its 50/50 bang on or 0.2gn over.. for general hunting stuff and 500m tops loads I just tip them in lol

Baz
    Quote Originally Posted by baldbob View Post
    They do rock....

Have you zeroed it and calibrated it?
    Check the booklet for a factory reset?

You can fiddle with the settings to regulate how it trickles, this could be your problem... buggered settings

PM Spanners he knows how to do it
    Zeroed and calibrated etc as per instructions. No factory reset is avalable for them (as per google/interweb)

May have to give spanners a PM, cheers.

El B, my one wont even throw an over charge.......

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    Have a search here - I put up a link to the base settings I used
    If you cant find it - I'll have a dig

I'm not in front of mine so cant tell you exact settings, but what I will tell you is, when they are setup right, you can almost get them to run full bore and stop 0.1 or 0.2gr off and trickle that up in a sec or 2 - using stick powder.
    Do you run it with the shield on it or not?
    What are you using for a power supply?
    Any fluros around?

Just remember to shut the drain chute when you're finished.
    Nothing is more funny than pointing and laughing at your mate as new tin of powder pours out the bottom all over your messy shitty bench

Found my instructions:

1. Turn the unit on.
    2. When 0.0gn is on the display, press BOTH the ENTER and the EDIT MEM keys on the dispenser at the same time. Hold for a second and then release.
    If done properly ADJUST PARAMETER should scroll across the display followed by HSP 00015.68 (This number represents the number of grains away from your entered charge when the tube will shift from fast speed to medium speed. That is at 15.68 gn from your target charge the dispenser will shift from fast to medium speed.)
    To speed up the unit, this number needs to be decreased and to slow down the unit, this number needs to be increased. (On a slow unit, I would change this number to11.00 gn this is done by pressing the following keys: 1 1 0 0 ENTER (pressing the enter key sets that value and moves to next setting in program in this case, to medium speed to slow speed setting)
    3. HSP 00003.42 should scroll across the display now. This number represents where the unit will shift from medium to slow speed. Using the same process as before in # 2. For a slow unit I would change this number to 2.50 gn this is done by pressing the following keys: 2 5 0 ENTER (pressing the enter key sets that value and moves to next setting in program in this case, to slow speed to trickle speed setting)
    4. HSP 00001.08 should now scroll across the screen. This number represents where the unit will shift from slow speed to trickle. Using the same process as before in # 2. For a slow unit I would change this number to .90 gn this is done by pressing the following keys: 9 0 ENTER
    5. This is all the adjustment that needs to be done to the unit. You need to press the ENTER key to cycle through the rest of the program. (approx. 22 times) The unit will start its normal initial countdown process when this is done.
    You need to test out the dispenser now. Enter your target charge and dispense. I usually disregard the first charge. Throw a few charges at these settings to see if they will work for you. If they don’t, return to step # 2 and repeat the process.

Different powders will require tweaking of the last setting (HSP)
    You can go further with this and get it to full speed and stop pretty much on the money.. but change powder and it may overshoot.
    Mine will go over 1 in 20 I'd say due to my settings, dump back in hopper or take a pinch out - I run it hard and fast, so pulling the HSP back a bit will sort it.

I tweaked mine according to those instructions and it's running bloody good now, the McDonalds/Burger King straw trick made a big difference too. . .

A tip to stop over throwing is to prop the front feet up with some folded up paper and i went from wanting to smash my new hornady to loving it.
    45 g of 09 and i can barely keep up seating the pills, with no over throws!
    the new kid on the block seems to be the biz.
    three of us Taihape lads have got them and pretty impressed
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!

We need to have a Auto-dispenser race

Hey Spanners whats the deal with fluros apart from being able to see what the fark u are doing??
    DONT BE A FOOL INDENTIFY YOUR TARGET BEFORE YOU PULL

Baz
    Quote Originally Posted by Spanners View Post
    Have a search here - I put up a link to the base settings I used
    If you cant find it - I'll have a dig

I'm not in front of mine so cant tell you exact settings, but what I will tell you is, when they are setup right, you can almost get them to run full bore and stop 0.1 or 0.2gr off and trickle that up in a sec or 2 - using stick powder.
    Do you run it with the shield on it or not?
    What are you using for a power supply?
    Any fluros around?

Just remember to shut the drain chute when you're finished.
    Nothing is more funny than pointing and laughing at your mate as new tin of powder pours out the bottom all over your messy shitty bench
    Cheers Spanners, Been running it with the shield in place. level bench etc. Power supply is a 240v-9v selector 600mA, tested voltage with a mutli meter before using it.

I have a set of twin fluros above the bench I load at, I have read that these make noise in the electrical circuit? you had trouble with fluros Spanners?? will try without. I will make sure the drain is closed each time I fill

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    Only a wild guess, but they are modular. The hopper and the scales are two separate bits. Just check they are hooked up properly.

Sounds like it may have to go back.

Mine jerks very gently for the last few grain.
    Tussock, the light is on saying LINK which means the 2 are communicating ok.

Mine wont jerk at all when in trickle mode, stable light flashes and it makes that faint motor noise but no jerking/trickling....

I will try changing the settings (see what factory ones are on mine first) but it seems the trickle part/function is a no go.........

Baz
    Also who would be best to go through if it is to be a warranty claim? I see the manual has a send direct to Ammunition Accessories Inc to be repaired or replaced.

Would the RCBS agent for NZ, Sportsways Distributors NZ be of any help??

Would like to try avoid sending it back overseas........