Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Nickoli

Thread: Ream to... 7SAUM or 284

Ream to... 7SAUM or 284

hey all. i have Browning X Bolt, and being a tight bstard was thinking about reaming to 284 as an alpine/slip rifle. Now the Xbolt action is medium, so that'l probably rule out using 162 ELDs because of length/feeding issues right?(unless single loaded).

Then remembered the 7SAUM, looks to be quite a bit shorter in the case and a 10% powder increase..... seems a lot more sane an option once mag/bolt face are adjusted....

162 grainers around 3000 or close to for minimal cost=not having to sell-lose money and buy another rifle seems logical to me.

what am i missing?

@7mmsaum

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    hey all. i have Browning X Bolt, and being a tight bstard was thinking about reaming to 284 as an alpine/slip rifle. Now the Xbolt action is medium, so that'l probably rule out using 162 ELDs because of length/feeding issues right?(unless single loaded).

Then remembered the 7SAUM, looks to be quite a bit shorter in the case and a 10% powder increase..... seems a lot more sane an option once mag/bolt face are adjusted....

162 grainers around 3000 or close to for minimal cost=not having to sell-lose money and buy another rifle seems logical to me.

what am i missing?

@7mmsaum
    Assuming you have a 7mm-08 and that you are the self described tight-bastard; you are missing that the 7mm-08 will do the same job out to 400m (or more...)
    But sometimes, you just gotta chase the dragon and go for more speed, $, powder, glamour calibre etc etc - I get it....
    BRADS likes this.

yeh man, i am the tighty,. and i have the 708, and i know it will be fine to that distance,,,, but i like the theory of insurance.If i shoot a deer at 450 i want the biggest hole drilled thru it possible, without having to sell, lose money, and re buy,,,,,,, ideally see the deer drop and not walk off aka Mark Hunt on me.... and then have to find it, if at all possible

Get a 338 then lol. No but seriously dont fuck about reaming anything to shoot 450. Just load the suitable pill I'd suggest the 150 Lrab. Or 140 nosler bt.

284 would be easier to do, cos the jump to SAUM means also having to open up bolt face for the magnum case.
    Not sure if u can do this on XBolt ? The other issue is mag length - from memory the XBolt is not overly generous? That's going to limit you especially with the 284. You need full 3 inch or a tad more for 284. In terms of fps there's not a lot in it, 50-100 fps in favour of SAUM from my experience. Both a decent step up over 7-08.

Ream to... 7SAUM or 284

Quote Originally Posted by ANTSMAN View Post
    yeh man, i am the tighty,. and i have the 708, and i know it will be fine to that distance,,,, but i like the theory of insurance.If i shoot a deer at 450 i want the biggest hole drilled thru it possible, without having to sell, lose money, and re buy,,,,,,, ideally see the deer drop and not walk off aka Mark Hunt on me.... and then have to find it, if at all possible
    The Mighty Mouse 708 can't even shoot a possum at 50 yards. The 284 can though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Dan M