Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: reloading 223 - two different projectiles

reloading 223 - two different projectiles

So I'm looking at reloading for my 223 for two different scenarios, using 2 different projectiles but the same 100m zero
    Has anyone done this, using a 50-55gr VMax type bullet for wallabie, hares, rabbits but then having a spare mag avaialable with 55gr SPs in the event a pig shows up.

GWH
    Simplify life and just use one like the 55g SGK for everything

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    7mmsaum, shooternz, HNTMAD and 1 others like this.

Mine puts 53vmax and 68bthp to the same POI at 100 (and similar groups around half inch, the 53s are a tad tighter). I don't know difficult the load development etc was though, my uncle brews up my ammo.
    scottrods likes this.

My Sako .223 shoots 65gn Gamekings and 69gn Matchkings to the same POI (or 0.5" diff at 200m).
    Welcome to Sako club.

Yeah I carry a 10rnd mag of 62gr Federal fusions or 65gr Gamekings for deer/pigs and either another 10 or a 30rnd of 50gr Hornady V or A max for goats/rabbits.
    Out to 400m it was still close enough to hit a 10" plate just using the Nikon BDC reticle and tight groups at 100m
    Definitely doable but does get tiring changing mags, just use a SP for shooting everything like above
    Kscott likes this.

I only have one mag. If mainly shooting wobblies but with the odd deer or goat then I have the mag full of 53s and some 68s in a pocket to single feed if i want them. Depends how easy it is to single feed with your rifle though I guess, it's not a problem with the Savage.

Good question, I am going through the same thing with the same caliber. I do 99% varmint / rabbits but some of the country I hunt has bigger stuff on it. I started with 40 vmax for the big splat effect and now have just finished a box of 55gr Varageddons.
    I am going next to soft points in 55gr, they shoot well out to 400mtrs and I wouldn't shoot a deer at that with a 223 so from 0 - 200 they should be fine.
    As for rabbits etc and softpoints still open them up big time, just don't go FMJ, I found out the hard way they suck on rabbits.

53gr Sierra hollow points for my Howa 223. Good for rabbits at long range, and even bagged me a dear last year, neck shot at @100m.

Sierra 22caL .224 53gr HP Match 1400 - 22cal - Rifle Projectiles - Projectiles - Reloaders Supplies Ltd

Name:  deer_Alex_Oct2015.jpg
Views: 469
Size:  1.00 MB

But I've found VMAX shoot slightly to the left when compared to these, zeroed at 100m.

My 65gr gamekings and 75gr Amax shoot to the same POI.....so I guess just try it and see what happens.

I expect shorter/stiffer barrels might have less variation in POI between different loads due to harmonics. Could be wrong though!

Quote Originally Posted by GravelBen View Post
    I expect shorter/stiffer barrels might have less variation in POI between different loads due to harmonics. Could be wrong though!
    I think it's more down to ballistics/velocity

Quote Originally Posted by specweapon View Post
    I think it's more down to ballistics/velocity
    Bugger all difference in ballistics between any of them at 100yds though! And that wouldn't explain different horizontal POI either.

Certainly the ballistics will differ at longer ranges, I agree about that.

I use 53 sierra hpbt matchkings and the 55 hpbt gameking, same poi to 200 yds then the 55s drop away. 12 in difference in poi at 400. Powder load is the same in both 26 of 2206h, seems to work for me.
    Kscott likes this.

I was thinking of using 2 different projectiles for my 223. But decided it was easiest to just use one and went with the 75 grain amax.
    It deals to rabbits, goats and fallow. Also shot a few smaller pigs

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

I only have a 1 in 12 barrel. So will be limited to lighter loads. Was thinking 50gr Vmax and 55gr SP's.