Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Reloading 577/450

Just loading a few rounds for next weekend, I have some SPANZ cases no prob as they load like a straight case. Also loading some real cartridges, last time I loaded 85 grains of FF powder, wad, bees wax wad, paper wrapped projectile, all good but shit lot of recoil after a few shots. Now loading but using 63 grains, two pieces of toilet paper compressed, this get everything pass the neck, the wads and projectile. Anyone got bad advice on loading this way? Worried of using a filler that compacts and splits the neck off the cartridge. Figure toilet paper will hold the powder against the primer and prevent over flash of the powder, and will go out the barrel without fouling or compressing.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Toilet paper worked a treat, only down side looks crap flying behind the projectile, reminds me of the dance of the flaming arsehole
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Fun stuff Maca. I always get a bit nervous about how much fillers/wads/lube cookies effect pressure so tend to treat it like I was loading for a really heavy projectile.

Was told that if you push down a circle of cardboard on top of the powder that it stops an S.E.E. but also read that this leads to chamber ringing.

Just now I cannot find my data for my Snider and MH loads - so long since I shot them. I think I ended up using a much lighter load than you, guessing it was around 60 3F. I think 1 stiff cardboard wad and then a cork wad. The cork wads may have been grease impregnated. SPANZ brass and Tony Hawkins paper wrapped projectiles. I got outstanding accuracy, well OK for an aged MH shooting steel at BP shoots. Recoil not an issue more of a heavy push like most of the smaller BP gun loads. Also shot at 300 yds at a rifle club and it performed OK. Shot many many goats also. I will keep searching for my data as I am quite keen to fire it again. The chamber ringer is more likely to occur I think with a muzzle loader when you don't seat everything down firmly onto the powder.

I tend to think if you push it in by hand its going to exit without a prob. Using a filler in a necked cartridge worries me with hydraulicing, toilet paper cannot do that. In straight brass I have no prob with wads, cookies, filler etc as its straight out. Just loaded my 28 gauge double, using a 2" shell, 68 grains FF, cardboard wad, grease cookie. light wad,cork wad .577 projectile. Like a rubbish dump going out but worked OK and was accurate. The other barrel takes a 3" cartridge so thatll be fun.
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Ive just got a heap of SPANZ cases in 577/450, find the great with 45 grains as doesnt punish me as bad as the 85 grains on club day, and of cause more bangs for your bucks
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

The SPANZ cases are turned cases and are necked on the outside but bored straight on the inside , so no problem with pressure build up pushing on the shoulder . Beer mats soaked in Bees wax make excellent wads , they suck up the melted wax . The original 577/450 ammo I have pulled to pieces uses a paper wrapped bullet , card or horse hair felt wad and space taken up by cotton wool
    Get as close as you can then six feet closer

Yep no prob with straight cases, cotton wool sounds worth a try, I think its just to stop the powder lying flat in the cartridge and igniting at both ends causing the bang to come from both ends and hence excessive pressure in the shell and possibly the same in the breech.All Im trying to achieve is to down load original 577/450 brass, same with my 28 Gauge, 28g X 2" of powder hurts.My rifles are both pre 1900 as well
    Boom, cough,cough,cough