Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Reloading components from the US

I remember seeing a few posts a while ago about buying projectiles and brass from the US, but I couldn't find them again.

Just wondering if anyone has done it, how did you do so and was it difficult?

Cheers

Normally Auckland for work, temporarily deployed to UK, St Arnaud on leave
    I am using this guy https://www.reloadinginternational.c...alog/index.php to get a stock out, a bit slow on emails but good to deal with.

Does it work out to be much cheaper? Is there much hassle from NZ customs?

What about a private party sending non hazardous package to a friend ?

Are there restrictions on reloading equipment ?

Normally Auckland for work, temporarily deployed to UK, St Arnaud on leave
    Quote Originally Posted by nevada View Post
    What about a private party sending non hazardous package to a friend ?

Are there restrictions on reloading equipment ?
    Being the US I would think so ITAR springs to mind.

Does a licensee need an export license to export a firearm? (Firearms FAQs | ATF)
    The GCA does not require export licenses. However, most firearms and ammunition must be exported in accordance with the provisions of the Arms Export Control Act of 1976. Regulations implementing this Act generally require a license to be obtained from the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, Department of State, PM/DDTC, SA-1, Room 1200, 2401 E St., N.W., Washington, DC 20037; (202) 663-1282.

The export of sporting shotguns and ammunition for sporting shotguns is regulated by the U.S. Department of Commerce rather than the State Department. An export license is generally needed to export these shotguns and ammunition. For further information, contact them at their nearest district office or the Bureau of Industry and Security, Outreach and Educational Services Division, U.S. Department of Commerce, 14th St. & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W., Washington, DC 20230, (202) 482-4811.

When exporting NFA firearms, ATF Form 9 must be completed and approved by ATF prior to export.

[22 U.S.C. 2778, 27 CFR 479.114 and 479.116]

BEetroot - stock still being made so will see if it gets caught by customs, no local manufacturer or agent hence looked there.

Quote Originally Posted by sAsLEX View Post
    Being the US I would think so ITAR springs to mind.

Does a licensee need an export license to export a firearm? (Firearms FAQs | ATF)
    The GCA does not require export licenses. However, most firearms and ammunition must be exported in accordance with the provisions of the Arms Export Control Act of 1976. Regulations implementing this Act generally require a license to be obtained from the Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, Department of State, PM/DDTC, SA-1, Room 1200, 2401 E St., N.W., Washington, DC 20037; (202) 663-1282.

The export of sporting shotguns and ammunition for sporting shotguns is regulated by the U.S. Department of Commerce rather than the State Department. An export license is generally needed to export these shotguns and ammunition. For further information, contact them at their nearest district office or the Bureau of Industry and Security, Outreach and Educational Services Division, U.S. Department of Commerce, 14th St. & Pennsylvania Ave. N.W., Washington, DC 20230, (202) 482-4811.

When exporting NFA firearms, ATF Form 9 must be completed and approved by ATF prior to export.

[22 U.S.C. 2778, 27 CFR 479.114 and 479.116]

BEetroot - stock still being made so will see if it gets caught by customs, no local manufacturer or agent hence looked there.
    I realize you can't send weapons or complete cartridges.i was wondering about empty cases,etc.
    Some countries don't allow reloading equipment either.

It's that I remember reading on a few threads about someone doing it, ans wanted to know if there were many people doing so and if it was much work.
    I guess at least one person is doing it so it's not impossible.

Lovin Facebook for hunters kiwijames's Avatar
    Ive bought all my dies from Sinclair. No worries

Reloading equipment is fine. Ammo components from the US are ITAR restricted so the exporter needs an export permit. Brownells/Sinclairs will also export brass/projectiles you just need to go through the paperwork process. You need a letter from the NZ Police saying that no import permit is required at this end inorder for the US exporter to apply for the export permit. It's the freight cost that usually makes it marginal to import.

Quote Originally Posted by NZShoota View Post
    Reloading equipment is fine. Ammo components from the US are ITAR restricted so the exporter needs an export permit. Brownells/Sinclairs will also export brass/projectiles you just need to go through the paperwork process. You need a letter from the NZ Police saying that no import permit is required at this end inorder for the US exporter to apply for the export permit. It's the freight cost that usually makes it marginal to import.
    Is freight cost pretty high?
    The components seem pretty cheap on US websites, but more importantly they seem to have a bigger selection when it comes to less standard calibres. As well as when the stores here have a 3 month away order, the US has everything in stock.