Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Black Watch DPT


User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 12 of 12
Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By mucko
  • 1 Post By rossi.45
  • 1 Post By rossi.45
  • 1 Post By shooternz
  • 1 Post By jakewire
  • 1 Post By mucko
  • 2 Post By Philipo
  • 1 Post By Philipo

Thread: Reloading data for 30/06 AI

  1. #1
    Member mucko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    12,119

    Reloading data for 30/06 AI

    I brought a rebarreled p17 a few months back finally got to pull the trigger on it yesterday to find out is AI a pleasant surprise. anyone out there reloading this chambering ADI list max load only in 2209 would be interested to here from anyones experience reloading the 30/06 AI. Cheers Mike

  2. #2
    Member rossi.45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Central Otago - formally 30yrs in the Buller
    Posts
    399
    its good you see it being a AI as a positive . . . funny you only found out when you pulled the trigger, a WTF mooment if ever there was.
    the gunsmith should have so marked the barrel . . but not unusual, i bought a wildcat chambered rifle a few years ago without any information stamped on the barrel

    good luck . . lets hope the throat/twist is to your liking

    let us know how you get on . . .

    R
    mucko likes this.

  3. #3
    Member mucko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    12,119
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    its good you see it being a AI as a positive . . . funny you only found out when you pulled the trigger, a WTF mooment if ever there was.
    the gunsmith should have so marked the barrel . . but not unusual, i bought a wildcat chambered rifle a few years ago without any information stamped on the barrel

    good luck . . lets hope the throat/twist is to your liking

    let us know how you get on . . .

    R
    yeah it was a WTF moment, barrel stamped 30-06 no AI any where. even the ammo I got with it was not AI, did a visual down the barrel but not bore scoped so didn't see the AI shoulder. was told it was fired before i brought it. but it wasn't even sighted in. I am picking that they didn't know what they had fired a round saw the case shape had changed and had a WTF moment and sold it thinking it wasn't right. accuracy is not to bad but once I get some dies I will dill it in. bed it lighten trigger and so on. recoil is pretty good boots less then my 6.5-06. need to look at what twist it has will run bore scope down it later. it has a black mountain barrel on it. who ever fitted the barrel did a nice job of it. looking forward to seeing how this cannon blossoms. Have 3mm stamps so will put AI on it for future reference.

  4. #4
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tokoroa
    Posts
    353
    I have a Black Mountain barrel in .308 on my Rem 40X very accurate even though the throat is well worn, Your P17 could have been a Full-bore rifle at one time and the barrel rechambered to 30/06AI
    get the barrel slugged if it was a Full-bore rifle the bore & groove diameters could be tight and the twist 1:13" it will still handle 168 SMK's I have shot hundreds through mine with excellent accuracy,
    case capacity is about 4% more for an AI case any factory equivalent load will fire form the cases, I haven't loaded a 30/06 AI but have had a 22/250AI they are quite easy to load for no drama at all
    if you already have a 30/06 just use the load for that.

  5. #5
    Member mucko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    12,119
    Quote Originally Posted by shooternz View Post
    I have a Black Mountain barrel in .308 on my Rem 40X very accurate even though the throat is well worn, Your P17 could have been a Full-bore rifle at one time and the barrel rechambered to 30/06AI
    get the barrel slugged if it was a Full-bore rifle the bore & groove diameters could be tight and the twist 1:13" it will still handle 168 SMK's I have shot hundreds through mine with excellent accuracy,
    case capacity is about 4% more for an AI case any factory equivalent load will fire form the cases, I haven't loaded a 30/06 AI but have had a 22/250AI they are quite easy to load for no drama at all
    if you already have a 30/06 just use the load for that.
    good point on the full bore some could of reamed it after the fact. the loads I was running in it yesterday were 50gr 2208 with 150gr moly coated projectile, they came with the rifle. whats best practice to fire form cases live rounds or blanks. some of the cases separated on the neck, so will anneal the surviving cases.

  6. #6
    Member rossi.45's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Central Otago - formally 30yrs in the Buller
    Posts
    399
    i used pistol powder/cream of wheat method with annealed cases on the first firing . . . i didnt want 100 medium pressure reloads o have to get thru before i went to the top end of performance

    if i was going to go the other way and use bullets on the first firing to fireform then i would have the bullets engraving the rifling in annealed cases

    be interested to see what twist you ended up with . . . if it was a target rifle I'm think it will have the holes on the side of the action for the rear aperture sight, some pics if you have time would be cool . . . R
    mucko likes this.

  7. #7
    Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    Tokoroa
    Posts
    353
    Quote Originally Posted by mucko View Post
    good point on the full bore some could of reamed it after the fact. the loads I was running in it yesterday were 50gr 2208 with 150gr moly coated projectile, they came with the rifle. whats best practice to fire form cases live rounds or blanks. some of the cases separated on the neck, so will anneal the surviving cases.
    Either shoot off what ammo that came with the rifle or pull them down for the components which ever is easiest, the reason for the neck separation is the bullets cold welded themselves to the case
    run the rounds through the seating die and push the bullets back a couple of thou to break the weld should be ok after that, use the new cases to work up loads when you find an accurate load load up the rest
    and use them for target practice and hunting fire forming loads can be very accurate so don't waste them just blasting off when you have enough formed enough cases you will have a start point for load development
    mucko likes this.

  8. #8
    Caretaker jakewire's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,946
    I think Philipo Loads for a 30 06 Ai
    mucko likes this.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

  9. #9
    Member mucko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    12,119
    Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    i used pistol powder/cream of wheat method with annealed cases on the first firing . . . i didnt want 100 medium pressure reloads o have to get thru before i went to the top end of performance

    if i was going to go the other way and use bullets on the first firing to fireform then i would have the bullets engraving the rifling in annealed cases

    be interested to see what twist you ended up with . . . if it was a target rifle I'm think it will have the holes on the side of the action for the rear aperture sight, some pics if you have time would be cool . . . R
    @rossi.45 1:13 twist. going to anneal used cases to start with. thinking I might buy some new cases though.

  10. #10
    The Scope Whore ! Philipo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmy Nth
    Posts
    1,893
    Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I think Philipo Loads for a 30 06 Ai
    Yeah but mines on of Kiwi Greg's creation, It's a 30-06 Terminator Improved Max or 30-06 tim so not much help to ya mucko, I run ADI 2213, it's a good powder I'm getting 178 amaxes doing 2975fps outa a 24" tube.


    Not stamping the barrel is very poor form & bloody dangerous
    mucko and BRADS like this.
    A proud member of "Team Seagull" Chur

  11. #11
    Member mucko's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Location
    Tauranga
    Posts
    12,119
    Quote Originally Posted by Philipo View Post
    Yeah but mines on of Kiwi Greg's creation, It's a 30-06 Terminator Improved Max or 30-06 tim so not much help to ya mucko, I run ADI 2213, it's a good powder I'm getting 178 amaxes doing 2975fps outa a 24" tube.


    Not stamping the barrel is very poor form & bloody dangerous
    cheers bro this is running a 22"barrel was going to run 2209 but I do have 2213sc as I run that in the 264 wm. how much capacity do you have over standard?

  12. #12
    The Scope Whore ! Philipo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Palmy Nth
    Posts
    1,893
    I run 68g so only 8-9 over a standard 30-06 max load, but it's a very efficient case that Greg developed ( 280ai opened up to 30 cal & with extended / improved shoulder ) getting over a 250fps increase above standard.
    mucko likes this.
    A proud member of "Team Seagull" Chur

 

 

Similar Threads

  1. Sierra reloading data for PDF download
    By on2it in forum Resource Library
    Replies: 29
    Last Post: 21-10-2016, 05:30 PM
  2. Reloading data needed
    By viper in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 14-08-2016, 11:08 AM
  3. 9.3x57 reloading data
    By huntsika in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-11-2015, 02:09 PM
  4. 6.5WSM Reloading data
    By mishka in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 01-11-2014, 01:06 AM
  5. free reloading data
    By sakkaranz in forum Reloading and Ballistics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-09-2014, 08:58 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Welcome to NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums! We see you're new here, or arn't logged in. Create an account, and Login for full access including our FREE BUY and SELL section Register NOW!!