Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Rifle and reloaded ammo accuracy

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    You should just print the photo of it to scale and continue! We won't judge....much
    Of the cook or target?
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

@Gibo, I think we got a little Side tracked! I think I'll stick to 3 shot groups. And I would like to get better than an at 100m for my small game/varminting loads, which seems to be going ok for me!
    Gibo likes this.

Accurate ammo, use the mean group radius. Fire 24 10 shot groups, measure the distance between shots and average them all. Then you will know the accuracy of that ammunition in that rifle. If you end up shooting out the barrel and having it replaced then of course you will have to start all over again.
    Otherwise if you are happy with the results of whatever groups you are shooting now stick with that.
    gadgetman, R93, Beaker and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Accurate ammo, use the mean group radius. Fire 24 10 shot groups, measure the distance between shots and average them all. Then you will know the accuracy of that ammunition in that rifle. If you end up shooting out the barrel and having it replaced then of course you will have to start all over again.
    Otherwise if you are happy with the results of whatever groups you are shooting now stick with that.
    I'm guessing this is a piss take pro 3 shot group post. If you shoot out your barrel with 240 shots you have a stupid calibre rifle,...but no ones suggesting you do that. Shooting single 3 shot groups to gauge the accuracy of a load is deceiving and likely to give you false results. Increasing your group size by a measly 2-3 shots, OR shooting 2x3 shot groups with each load and overlaying them will give you much better indication of the accuracy of the load. Better yet do them through a chrony.

Sent from my GT-I8190T using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Feather or Shoot View Post
    I'm guessing this is a piss take pro 3 shot group post. If you shoot out your barrel with 240 shots you have a stupid calibre rifle,...but no ones suggesting you do that. Shooting single 3 shot groups to gauge the accuracy of a load is deceiving and likely to give you false results. Increasing your group size by a measly 2-3 shots, OR shooting 2x3 shot groups with each load and overlaying them will give you much better indication of the accuracy of the load. Better yet do them through a chrony.

Most chronys would tell you less than 1 3 shot group
    veitnamcam likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Feather or Shoot View Post
    I'm guessing this is a piss take pro 3 shot group post. If you shoot out your barrel with 240 shots you have a stupid calibre rifle,...
    Actually no.
    Mean group radius is how the US army selected match lots of ammunition for camp perry, national match shooting and sniping. I found an article on it in an old american rifleman on the process.
    Well the last bit might be a little bit humorous because if you try 10 different powder and bullet combos there goes a barrel before you even finish load development.

Quote Originally Posted by Marty Henry View Post
    Actually no.
    Mean group radius is how the US army selected match lots of ammunition for camp perry, national match shooting and sniping. I found an article on it in an old american rifleman on the process.
    Well the last bit might be a little bit humorous because if you try 10 different powder and bullet combos there goes a barrel before you even finish load development.
    Using average anything is problematic. Smooths over variation. I like the idea of standard deviation from point of aim. Put up the article if you find it. Sounds interesting.

i dont have any personal stake in which is best on this 3 shot vrs 5 or 10 shot groups . . to me its which is more appropriate to what your trying to achieve.
    only ever fired one 10 shot group with a centrerfire . . but plenty of 10 - 20 shot groups with rimfires.

use to follow a thread on a US website that started off as a bunch of guys talking about what kind of wildcat to build . . . one was a gunsmith who would build the rifles, they used different actions/barrels/scopes but used the same reamers n bullets . . . these guys were all over the US.
    long story short . . . they posted regularly on their progress over months with lots and lots of groups to show how they were getting on, all were 10 shot groups . . . anything less would have proved next to nothing.

but if you own a hunting rifle . . . 2 or 3 shot groups are OK, they're good enough . . . but dont turn up to a meeting of serious shooters with your ' this is the best 3 shot group '
    PERRISCICABA likes this.