Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

RL17 in a 300wsm

Hi All,
    Anyone using RL17 in thier 300wsm with 208 amax? What sort of speeds are you getting and is it accurate?

Have been reading some posts on US forums and some of the speeds they are acheiving are quite mind boggling - 3000+ out of a 24in barrel, 1 guy even saying he's up over 3150 although that was with a 28in barrel and all with no high pressure!!

Has anyone here actually got anywhere near these speeds? Just seems way over what I thought would be possible but man that would be sweet if you could.

Ray

Official Cheese Shaman Spanners's Avatar
    I call BS.
    Thats RUM speed..

AB Precision
    i was getting 2920fps with 2213sc an 68gr of it when i had my 300wsm was a hot load tho

never tryed anything else

Applies Lead Liberally rogers.270's Avatar
    that seems a bit high. fastest my .300wsm "hot load" travels is 3200 with a 150gr!!! and 69gr 2209

yeah i thought those speeds seemed a bit over the top especially 3150 but i have read that rl17 gives 100 - 150 fps over other powders in the WSM's, but so far i don't know of anyone actually using it in thier WSM's to confirm this.
    in THEORY that could put tuiman's 2920 easily over 3000

Ray

LJP
    In certain cartridges Reloader 17 is rewriting the books for velocity......But it is very temperature sensitive especially when loaded hot. I've hunted with & done extensive testing in 7mm08 & found velocity can change hugely with weather, a round left in a hot chamber too long etc. If managed it's like adding NOS to your car! It's a little dirtier burning than ADI powders but I found it extremely accurate at least in my 7mm08. Personally I have reverted back to ADI powders - clean burning, consistent velocity even with normal temperature swings & it's on the shleves of most your locals.