Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: SECTIONAL DENSITY

You can only compare the sd of bullet of the same construction, shape , and material and material hardness .

A soft lead bullet of the same general shape and weight / caliber as its jacketed hard lead counterpart might behave differently :
    -in the air regarding its ballistic trajectory
    - in an animal regarding its terminal ballistics .

And again a copper or brass turned bullet will behave deferently from a depleted uranium projectile
    veitnamcam likes this.

Ok, I apologise if I start a discussion that may not take us anywhere. Why I did ask is because "I" understood that Sectional Density had something to do with how easily or hardly a projectile will "expand" under certain condition.

I can see that we are going for a long discussion and it is not what I was meaning, I just like to understand all about the "fussy" about projectiles

Thank you for all of you guys who spent the time sharing the information I appreciate it. If you guys think it is a good "cause" to discuss I will be all "eyes and ears"

Cheers

Mac
    veitnamcam and Gibo like this.

SD was dismissed in the 1940s
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    1. Animals fall down reliably if a vital organ is destroyed, regardless of sectional density of the bullet.

But I prefer using something like lead copper or even depleted uranium to plastic or wood... Why? Because it's more likely to achieve the desired vital organ destruction..

2. Animals fall down reliably if the bullet retains enough weight and has enough speed to penetrate to a vital organ regardless of sectional density. This is interesting, weight and speed are the factors that determine momentum and energy values.

So my favorite 150 grain .308 projectiles will work just as well if they were the size of a football (and weighed the same 150 grains)? Retaining enough weight and has enough speed to penetrate to a vital organ is only possible if the projectile has sufficient SD.

3. The sectional density value seems to be of no importance at all, providing it did not disappear completely.

OK so anything heavier than air will do?

4. The post impact sectional density of a bullet is almost always less than the starting sectional density.

?

This leaves only one question unanswered. Who first came up with the theory of sectional density? Some idiot that decided it was better to use lead instead of stones for musket balls Was it some ballistician with a macabre sense of humour? No but the Military seem to like it https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GBU-28 Did he put forward this theory as a joke and it got out of control? No it's physics. Sectional density seems to be the ballistic equivalent of an internet chain letter. No it's physics. No matter how illogical or outdated or disproved it is, it keeps on popping up. Maybe for a reason?Almost like the concept of hydrostatic shock, but that is another story.

To your success,

With VERY LOW SD bullets... Yeah right.

Gerard Schultz
    OK so I am bored BUT this guy obviously missed 5th form physics!

Quote Originally Posted by PERRISCICABA View Post
    Ok, I apologise if I start a discussion that may not take us anywhere. Why I did ask is because "I" understood that Sectional Density had something to do with how easily or hardly a projectile will "expand" under certain condition.

I can see that we are going for a long discussion and it is not what I was meaning, I just like to understand all about the "fussy" about projectiles

Thank you for all of you guys who spent the time sharing the information I appreciate it. If you guys think it is a good "cause" to discuss I will be all "eyes and ears"

Cheers

Mac
    Mac , amax , eld m and eld x all kill you are most welcome
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by PERRISCICABA View Post

Cheers

Mac
    Haha that was at least 10 min of entertainment on an otherwise boring Tuesday.
    Dead is better likes this.

Not to flog a dead horse but SD is important but it is only part of the picture (in that it doesn't have regard to velocity), and even then, it is only relevant to pure penetration (making it a lot more relevant to larger game).

What determines the penetrative ability of a projectile in a medium (animal), is the Kinetic Energy Density (KED) of the round. KED is the Kinetic Energy (in Joules) of the round (1/2 * Mass (in grams) * Velocity ^ 2 (in m/s)) divided by the cross sectional area of the round (in m^2).

Therefore to increase penetration, either make the round go faster and/or increase the sectional density (by increasing mass and/or decreasing cross sectional area).

But penetration is only part of the what you are after when poking holes in animals. You ideally want all of that Kinetic Energy to couple (be transferred) to the target as that is what causes damage due to the deceleration of the round, and if you get too much penetration (too high KED) then that full transfer doesn't occur and it just makes a pencil hole. That's where things like actual round construction and shot placement come into it. They (particularly round construction) will determine how and whether a round expands inside a target
    PERRISCICABA likes this.

Lentle n Saxton put it rather well , I will see if I can convey thier meaning without cocking it up to much
    take the .30/06 for eg on paper the 110grn pill going super fast has shot loads of energy so should kill well...this is a bunch of bollocks its energy will explode projectile and create wide shallow wound
    the 220 grn pill in same rifle on paper is mild by comparison yet will penertrate VERY well and kill animals effectively

thats gist of what they wrote
    now if you put a barnes type 110grn pill in the 06 it will kill very well out to say 250 yards as pill is hard enough to handle the speed yet expands enough to create wound channel
    also if you take the 220 grn eg and feed rifle a pill designed for a super hot 300 magnum it will pencil through BUT if you used a AMAX/eld type or even a soft conventional type like speer make well it will shed some weight and deform somewhat therefore creating wide enough wound channel and transphering some energy.

so bullet construction IS VERY IMPORTANT sure we have all killed/seen killed animals with FMJ .303 ammo but if we didnt hit bone it wasnt pretty or fast as they zipped on through.

feed that 06 with the likes of a 180grn SST and you wont be far wrong on any account.
    ive loaded the 06 with 125-130-150 grn loads for recoil sensitive mate and he never had issues taking animals down,the lightweight pills were used on goats and would decapitate with high neck shot at close range.

Penetration does not neccessaraly kill. I have witnessed that a few times and penetration of the same 220 gr as the 30-06 above at sub speed is vastly superior to what is does at supersonic speed. The bullet just does not expend and loose very little energy.
    gadgetman and Micky Duck like this.