Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Shit or not !

Shit or not !

Lee Breech Lock Challenger Kit with Breech Lock Press (The Lee Anniversary Kit) *NZ$220 (incl. GST)Quantity: Includes the new Breech Lock Challenger Press and three Breech Lock quick-change bushings. You get a complete powder handling system, with the most convenient and repeatable Perfect Powder Measure. Plus the Lee Safety Scale, the most sensitive and safest of all powder scales and fill your case with the included Powder Funnel. Case Preparation Tools include a cutter and lock stud to trim your cases. An included Lee chamfer tool chamfers the inside and outside of the case mouth and a tube of premium sizing lube is included. A small and large primer pocket-cleaning tool completes the case preparation package. But that’s not all! You get the Large and small Safety Prime. Prime with push button convenience and is safe with all brands of primers. Never touch the primer from box to the case. Compare it to others priced at hundreds of dollars more. Reloading saves money and you save right from the start with Lee equipment...".....".................................................. ...... I have asked this before , but the thread was lost in the melt down a couple of months ago . I'm only going to load small scale , and not target loads ,will I get away with this set ? .
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

You may want to upgrade the scales, have also heard the lube can be hit and miss, imperial sizing wax is very good, or just buy lee collet dies and you dont need lube at all (very good when loading for high volume cartridges like 223)

I use it, my friend just used it See my recent thread on 308 150 BT 2208 I agree the scales are not the greatest. They/it is the best value for money reloading kit in my opinion

Re: Shit or not !

Mine is going strong. Certainly good enough for "hunting" ammo.
    I think it was tussock that dealt to the scales appropriately.

The powder thrower works once you pour heaps of powder through it. I had put 3 lbs through mine before it stopped sticking from the static

Sent from my Galaxy SIII
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone

I am using one and havent had problems with any parts. Now I have changed some parts but that is due to the volumes Im loading currently. I have absolutely no issues with Lee gear and I would recommend it to anyone who wants to set themselves up cheaply. Yes you can buy more expensive gear that will stand up to more abuse. Yes you can get second hand gear cheap if you know what you need. Unfortunately knowing the best gear for your reloading needs is found out by experience and time spent in front of one.

Thats a very good price Munsey,I'd grab it while its available .
    Don't think you'll go far wrong with that gear .
    Gun control means using both hands

As above, its a start and some bits are good and worth keeping, ie the Lee Collet dies and the depriming set up is better than my Rockchucker, but a few parts are pretty average.

I'm a fan of the Lee deprime die now as well, after busting my Lyman one on a sticky crimped primer. No issues with the Lee, as the decapping rod slides up.

However, the Lee scales and lube are just plain cr*p. Tussock once posted a vid of his Lee scales being destroyed.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Direct from Lee $172.00 US
    Breech Lock Challenger Kit - Lee Precision
    Gun control means using both hands

for the average hunter it will be fine just get a new set of scales and you will be away laughing

+1 one on the Lee scales. The word "abortion" pretty much sums them up. The Chamfer/deburr tool will go blunt and become useless. The press is fine. The priming tool works well. I haven't had good luck with the powder measure. Maybe it won't work with extruded powder.

I've never had an issue with the Lee lube, apart from the shit rusting my dies before I knew it was water based.

Quote Originally Posted by Tussock View Post
    There are other kits around. The Lyman kit springs to mind. They are more expensive, but if you factor in the bits of the Lee kit that just dont work, the price is more comparable, and ALL the Lee stuff you will end up replacing if your keen. The Lyman presses and scales etc would be fine indefinitely.
    Any idea how much for the Lyman kit ? And where to purchase ? . Thanks for the help by the way everyone .
    Last edited by Munsey; 17-09-2012 at 08:59 PM.
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

Sinclairs/Brownells is the best bet, in the US of A.
    Pity, I had just placed an order with them a few days ago, would have been happy to bring it in for you and split the freight costs.
    Welcome to Sako club.

Nothing wrong with Lee gear, but as others have said the scales are shit. I have been using the same Lee press and dies for over 30 years and it has had a lot of use.