Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Scouser
  • 3 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 1 Post By 2birds

Thread: Shotgun blackpowder Muzzle loading.....COMPLETE NEWBIE ADVICE PLEASE

Shotgun blackpowder Muzzle loading.....COMPLETE NEWBIE ADVICE PLEASE

Hi guys, im about to enter the dark arts of Muzzle loading, I havent got the foggiest idea what i will be doing, so im looking for DO/DONT'S

now, before any of you traditionalists slap me senseless.....

i will be using a single barrel shotgun, and a used shotshell hull with a replaced 209 primer, then equal measures of powder & shot, with a patch between both and topped off with another patch (Dave Canterbury style)

i do not yet have ANY of the above.....so first things first....whats next?....and i dont want to hear why?
    sometimes likes this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Firstly welcome to the world of the true propellent, once you've gone black you'll never go back. You intend using a reprimed hull and stuffing it from the front, this may have several problems that need to be overcome, solid brass shells would be best as the crimp will prevent a wad correctly seating so with plastic hulls that would need trimming off.
    Anyhow a standard charge of 2 f for a 12 g shotty would be 70 to 80 grains. On top of this goes an overpowder wad it needs to be about 1/2 an inch thick and cut from a compressible material, I use pinex acoustic tile. You will need a wad cutter for this. This is rammed down hard onto the powder charge followed by a cardboard wad, the shot charge is then poured in and two over shot cardboard wads lightly forced down to hold the shot tight. Personally I NEVER cap a piece during loading you will be loading on a live primer relying only on a safety catch and thats a risk I would not take. Why not load bp cartridges to see if you are really hooked, and then look at getting a proper muzzle stuffer.
    Scouser, Beaker and sometimes like this.

Forgot to add shot charge normally between 1/ 1/8 and 1/1/4 oz. At a pinch you can use 12 gauge plastic wads instead of pinex or similar cut the petals off and still use the card over shots, paper towel may work in a pinch but not as over powder. Bp burns hotter than smokeless so plastic cases dont last long, 2-3 reloads at most.
    Scouser likes this.

Big thanks @Marty Henry plenty to mull over there, will take it slow and easy......just a bit of fun to begin with and then see where it leads......

Scouser, I have a double barrel muzzel loader, and I use 70 grains of 2F powder, and use the same measure for the shot. I use 1/4 of a paper towel as a wad on the powder, and 1/2 a paper towel
    on top of the shot. The paper towels are cheap, and work well.
    When ramming the towel on the shot, It must be tight, and the rod should bounce when dropped onto the wad.
    The paper towel idea was passed to me from the previous owner, and also a recommended tip from the manufacturer of the shotgun.
    Scouser likes this.

Just an update, getting a Baikal and a Lee shotgun shell autoloader off forum members......stoked

Will still muzzle load on occasion as I want to have a go at that also.......watch this space!!!!!