Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree180Likes

Thread: Show us your reloading bench

Mine just sits on top of my safe away from all the other flammable stuff.

My current powder stock is 34 cans at around 15.5 kg. I keep maybe 2 cans at most at hand for current reloading, the rest are stored in a "facility" well away from the house. I also have a reasonable quantity of black powder stored in another place well away from the house. Likewise no lawnmower fuel is stored in my attached garage. Powder and primers are stored apart from each other. Paranoia huh? Regardless of whether smokeless powder burns or explodes I have no wish to get involved in a scrap with my insurance company if something untoward should happen. I am aware of people who store their powder in old metal ammo boxes - the worst thing to do as the powder is contained. Refer to Vihtavuori's recommendations for storage. But even uncontained powder will still burn quite vigorously in the open. If you have ever scrapped pistol or shotgun powder by burning you will know what I mean. If I have to dump any powder nowadays (rare) I just throw it on the lawn.
    308 and Martin358 like this.

You throw it on the lawn? Dose that make the lawnmower go faster?
    Hunt4life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post
    You throw it on the lawn? Dose that make the lawnmower go faster?
    Nah, quite the opposite, slows the lawnmower down when it reaches the higher better growing patches of grass. Akin to pissing under a lemon tree.

After following this thread i'm going to put all my spare petrol ,deisel and reloading powder in a shed away from my garage where it currently is.
    WallyR likes this.

Hi Guys, mines just a little corner of bench space, the rest is work shop stuff needed for making rifle barrels and the rifles. Just half my garage.
    Name:  P1020746.JPG
Views: 919
Size:  155.5 KB, the reloading and smithing shop.
    mikee likes this.

That's a great set of repurposed drawers. What sort of gear do you turn out from you workshop? Its always interesting to know what other guys here make.

Quote Originally Posted by homebrew.357 View Post
    Hi Guys, mines just a little corner of bench space, the rest is work shop stuff needed for making rifle barrels and the rifles. Just half my garage.
    Attachment 60925, the reloading and smithing shop.
    yeah but you probably make your own brass from brass discs.....
    NO MATTER HOW MUCH IT HURTS, HOW DARK IT GETS OR HOW FAR YOU FALL , .....
    YOU ARE NEVER OUT OF THE FIGHT . (Marcus Luttrell)

How the hell did he know that!!. Hi Dermastor, I`v knocked up a Hawken plains rifle and a Quigley Sharps, posted on here.

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    Youve never been to good garage fire that had loads of ammo in it then....
    Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I def haven't but if this comprehensive test is anything to go by, it could be a pop-popping experience, def not an explosion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c
    Hunt4life likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6x47 View Post
    I def haven't but if this comprehensive test is anything to go by, it could be a pop-popping experience, def not an explosion

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c
    No explosion......never said there was did I? But when your standing there holding the branch and they start cooking off....I could think of better places to be😉

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Hunt4life, Marty Henry and WallyR like this.

My humble reloading area, a far cry from the pistol weilding 3 gun toting hey days of blue 1050's rattling away!
    These days I much prefer to stand and putter away one round at a time with the likes of the Wilson or the SS redding

Name:  IMG_3082.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  986.6 KB

I traded down from buckets of brass to little green boxes, all my shit can go in a tool box and come inside with me on wet dismal nights.
    puku likes this.

A good cook off of live rounds I have seen when on national service, At the bren gun range loading up the 32 round mags, the amo came in round cardboard tubes with six round containers holding sixty rounds each of.303 amo. Tear off the top lid, dump out the containers and all the cardboard scrap was put on a fire. Yep, some twit left two sixty rounds containers in and on the fire it went, a pause till they got red hot and all hell broke out. Some guys got hot bullets down the neck or bits of hot brass casing, but most got the hell out of there.
    308 and Tommy like this.

Reminds me: Me and my old man were at a local Guy Fawkes night thing in suburban Johannesburg in the mid 90's. Some drunk twat started thumbing 9mm rounds off his magazine into the big bonfire for a laugh, while a zillion kids were running around. He was argumentative earlier in the evening, so from memory someone dropped him with a pick axe handle.
    veitnamcam, josh86 and 40mm like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Reminds me: Me and my old man were at a local Guy Fawkes night thing in suburban Johannesburg in the mid 90's. Some drunk twat started thumbing 9mm rounds off his magazine into the big bonfire for a laugh, while a zillion kids were running around. He was argumentative earlier in the evening, so from memory someone dropped him with a pick axe handle.
    Guess that slowed him up a bit I'd have broken both his thumbs that would have had the same effect
    josh86 and WallyR like this.