Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Signs of something big?

Signs of something big?

So just started reloading and was going through my first batch, when i noticed my higher charged 7mm08 loads started getting this around the rim (see below).
    I know its not extractor marks but my lesser loads haven't shown signs so i guess my question is, Is this a precursor to over pressure?

Name:  IMG_20170413_160913.jpg
Views: 552
Size:  406.3 KB

Name:  IMG_20170413_160848.jpg
Views: 536
Size:  356.7 KB

I'm not entirely sure from the photos what we are looking for around the rim, but the primers say mild pressure - the sort of appearance I haven't seen in these parts for many years
    P38, Wirehunt, veitnamcam and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Puffin View Post
    I'm not entirely sure from the photos what we are looking for around the rim, but the primers say mild pressure - the sort of appearance I haven't seen in these parts for many years
    Oh.... I mean the rubbing on the rim/base (whatever its called), photo one is easier to see. Basically left brass flakes in the bolt face.

Are you measuring and trimming your brass? Neck or full length sizing?

yup trimmed and Full length sizing, this only happened on my hottest load
    Last edited by Willus; 13-04-2017 at 08:04 PM.

So when you have resized the case, does it fit in your chamber with the bolt closing easily or are you having to force the bolt down a bit compared to an empty chamber.
    If this is the case ( pun not intended ) then you may not be resizing the case enough.

More info neded, re how much work ( reloads ) these cases have had.

I agree with the observation that there doesnt seem to be any pressure signs.
    veitnamcam and mikee like this.

Did the bolt show any more stiffness to open than the lower loads?
    mikee likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Remington 700 or mod 7?

It maybe the brass ,size wise , is on the tight side or it could be brass on the soft side or then it could even be that your loads are light .
    Which ever it is you still have more ability to stuff a little more powder in before the worst happens ?.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Did the bolt show any more stiffness to open than the lower loads?
    nope

Quote Originally Posted by Gibo View Post
    Remington 700 or mod 7?
    a dirty Tikka

Quote Originally Posted by Tankd View Post
    It maybe the brass ,size wise , is on the tight side or it could be brass on the soft side or then it could even be that your loads are light .
    Which ever it is you still have more ability to stuff a little more powder in before the worst happens ?.
    yeah i think ill stay just below.

43gr which is in the brass i posted above is getting 2700
    42.5gr getting me 2650 (no signs of the above on this load)... I'm happy with this, so think ill stay with that

Quote Originally Posted by Willus View Post
    yeah i think ill stay just below.

43gr which is in the brass i posted above is getting 2700
    42.5gr getting me 2650 (no signs of the above on this load)... I'm happy with this, so think ill stay with that
    How I roll is any new load I load a "ladder" from minimum load data to a few grains over max data in full grain steps for an 08 sized case and maybe 1/2grn steps over max one of each.

shoot each in turn from least to most taking careful note of the force required to lift the bolt and any "stamping" of the case head which if excessive will shave off onto the bolt(your picks do not show this) once found you now have "max" for one firing in your rifle,back off untill bolt lift is normal and case head stamping is all but non existent.probably a full grain below stiff bolt lift you should find a good safe working max,a chrony is a good indicator but an indicator only,they grains you need to achieve data speed (proof of pressure more or less) may vary widely from book data.

Find max in your rifle with that brass and back off a bit from there....I see no point in reduced loads unless in a caliber that is very hard to find brass or to download for a new shooter otherwise ya may as well have a 7.62x39
    nor-west, tetawa and Willus like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    How I roll is any new load I load a "ladder" from minimum load data to a few grains over max data in full grain steps for an 08 sized case and maybe 1/2grn steps over max one of each.

shoot each in turn from least to most taking careful note of the force required to lift the bolt and any "stamping" of the case head which if excessive will shave off onto the bolt(your picks do not show this) once found you now have "max" for one firing in your rifle,back off untill bolt lift is normal and case head stamping is all but non existent.probably a full grain below stiff bolt lift you should find a good safe working max,a chrony is a good indicator but an indicator only,they grains you need to achieve data speed (proof of pressure more or less) may vary widely from book data.

Find max in your rifle with that brass and back off a bit from there....I see no point in reduced loads unless in a caliber that is very hard to find brass or to download for a new shooter otherwise ya may as well have a 7.62x39
    Cheers, yeah i started at 41 and went up in .5 to 43, when firing the 43 it started leaving copper flakes coming from the case head all around my bolt.
    forgot to mention its only a 18" barrel so some speed loss is expected.
    Yup chronying every load i make =)

cheers for the knowledge all

I dont see any problems with the brass in the pic's. If you want more speed in a shorter barrel try a faster powder like 2206H or similar.