Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Is there anyone out there using Lee Classic turret Press?

What are your views? Is it easy to use?

Do you think it turns out good accurate ammo (hunting not paper, but still wanting good accuracy) if you attend to all the other prep duties with care?

Or am I better to get a Rockchucker or similar?

res
    I have turned out a fair amount of 9mm on one,and found it fine for that.
    The .223 I loaded on it worked but was not flash,but other claim to make good .308 on them so maybe it's me.

For low round count hunting ammo I would recommend a single stage press,it's a lot harder to stuff something up.
    And its lot easier to make good ammo.

If your loading 1000+ a year then a progressive press is well worth it, under that-less so. ESP if your loading a few calibers.

I can't remember who, but someone makes a single stage press that allows you to have a pile of dies set up and you just rotate the one you need into position,ideal for a hunter who does small amounts of a couple of calibers
    Using Tapatalk

Is there anyone out there using Lee Classic turret Press?

Redding do it's very good.
    http://www.deadeyedicks.co.nz/cms/pa...-press-590.php

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've been using one for years, and haven't had any issues, it will deliver as good an accurate round as a single stage but you have to do a lot of checking along the way. They do have movement in them, but as long as you are aware of it and check your measurements regularly you won't have problems. I have a turret set up for priming, depriming and bullet pulling(all on the one turret) and the separate calibers on other turrets and find it a very handy system. Having said that, my long range 338 Lapua rounds are made on a single stage rock chucker. I think the turret would be good up to 308, but bigger back to single stage. 6.5x284 is the biggest used on my turret.
    It might be worth mentioning that my Lee depriming die spindle was turned down so that I could deprime 20 cal, and the body was bored out to allow 338 to be deprimed, that way I can use the one depriming tool for all calibers
    That's my 2c worth anyway
    Last edited by redbang; 22-11-2014 at 09:32 AM.

I use a Lee single stage for my 223 loads, and a Dillon Square Deal with auto indexing for 9mm as I'm churning out a lot more rounds in a short time frame. And they both do the job required, but differently.

For the Lee, I like to work in stages... i.e: deprime and size a lot in one go, then a week or so later when I get around to it, prime them, then put away. Then load powder in another session (maybe a week later or so). I spend the time prepping the rounds, making accurate measurements for my need for accuracy for these rounds - so it's perfect if you're not in a rush. The Dillon on the other hand is great for mass produced ammo needed in a short time frame.

Yep for the price I think they are great. I load .223, 308 and 9mm on it. You can use it as a full turret or just remove the rotation arm and use it as a single stage press and batch load like KScott.
    Extra turret disks are about $20 so you can leave other calibre dies set up in separate turrets and throw which ever one you need on the press as you need it.

I like the used primer hose that captures the primers and keeps them contained until you are ready to throw them. They don't drop all over the place and keep used lead residue to a minimum.
    Lead delivery technician, Bulk orders welcome!!