Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree11Likes
  • 1 Post By veitnamcam
  • 1 Post By Marty Henry
  • 3 Post By ebf
  • 2 Post By veitnamcam
  • 3 Post By Apocalypticaman
  • 1 Post By Apocalypticaman

Thread: Unusual Chambering Issue

Unusual Chambering Issue

Hello there,

So I have just begun reloading for two Arisaka Type 99's (7.7x58mm Arisaka) - one is a Series 1 and the other is a Series 34. I FL sized 50 cases which were fired through my series 1, and the case length are within spec. The 50 cases happily chamber in my series 1, but won't chamber at all in my series 34.
    ...Why would this be the case? Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. There seems to be differences between the two chambers?

Cheers,

D

ebf
    Do you have headspace gauges ?
    Have you measured the shoulder on a fired case from both rifles, if so, what are the differences ?
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    Do you have headspace gauges ?
    Have you measured the shoulder on a fired case from both rifles, if so, what are the differences ?
    Thanks for the reply ebf. Unfortunately I don't have a set of headspace gauges.
    I've only got a caliper, would that be sufficient to measure the shoulder?

Put abit of black vivid on the neck shoulderand body of the case and try to chamber.
    Should show the issue.
    I would also guess slightly different headspaces between rifles or possibly a large chamber in one and a small in the other.
    If its headspace you should be able to wind your die down or grind the bottom of the die if needed to fit the chamber.
    If its a tight vs loose chamber you may need a small base die to get them to chamber or even new brass.
    Once sorted keep brass assigned to each rifle dont swap between.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    Apocalypticaman likes this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    Put abit of black vivid on the neck shoulderand body of the case and try to chamber.
    Should show the issue.
    I would also guess slightly different headspaces between rifles or possibly a large chamber in one and a small in the other.
    If its headspace you should be able to wind your die down or grind the bottom of the die if needed to fit the chamber.
    If its a tight vs loose chamber you may need a small base die to get them to chamber or even new brass.
    Once sorted keep brass assigned to each rifle dont swap between.

Sent from my SM-G388F using Tapatalk
    This is brilliant, thank you. I will keep brass cases separate for each rifle, and see how I get on.
    Will keep you guys updated, thanks heaps!!
    D

If that don't work do you have any unfired cases, try one of those, if it fits fire form it to the chamber then use your calipers to compare the two.
    Apocalypticaman likes this.

ebf
    caliper on its own is not going to give you a good shoulder measurement. look at the hornady comparator body and headspace bushings. they fit onto a caliper and let you get a decent measurement on the shoulder datum.

Workshop Innovation - Gunsmithing & Reloading Tools: Reloading Stuff +, Gauges

If a "factory spec" case, i.e. something that was full length resized in a die that was set up correctly does not chamber, you may want to get a gunsmith to have a look at the headspacing. It only takes a couple of thou for a case to be too large to close the bolt, but it may also be something more serious....
    Tommy, WallyR and Apocalypticaman like this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

Quote Originally Posted by ebf View Post
    caliper on its own is not going to give you a good shoulder measurement. look at the hornady comparator body and headspace bushings. they fit onto a caliper and let you get a decent measurement on the shoulder datum.

Workshop Innovation - Gunsmithing & Reloading Tools: Reloading Stuff +, Gauges

If a "factory spec" case, i.e. something that was full length resized in a die that was set up correctly does not chamber, you may want to get a gunsmith to have a look at the headspacing. It only takes a couple of thou for a case to be too large to close the bolt, but it may also be something more serious....
    While everything you said is correct you(he/she)dont/ doesnt actually need to go buying anything.
    A little common sense and logical thinking will sort it for minimum outlay.
    Tommy and Apocalypticaman like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

I actually like my brass to finally refuse to chamber. Then I can body die /shoulder bump them just enough so that they close snuggly. Takes most cases about 3 cycles to get there though.

Post count just hit 666. That's some bad juju

Quote Originally Posted by Dead is better View Post
    I actually like my brass to finally refuse to chamber. Then I can body die /shoulder bump them just enough so that they close snuggly. Takes most cases about 3 cycles to get there though.

Post count just hit 666. That's some bad juju
    How dare you post your '666'th on my thread

Update: Tossed out my old cases and started over. The cases now chamber but are 'catching' and the bolt is stiff to close. Brass case length within spec. Just back from the gunsmith, who used a borescope, and turns out there is a burr in the chamber which is catching on my brass cases. I'll let you guys know once the burr has been taken out, to see if it has fixed the issue.

Case marker test:
    Name:  signal-2016-10-27-140704.jpg
Views: 237
Size:  55.6 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Apocalypticaman; 27-10-2016 at 08:10 PM.

Great news everyone!!
    Turns out, the burr in my series 34 was causing the issue, a friend of mine who is a very competent gunsmith polished the chamber and did a beautiful job, because it now chambers everything I throw at it
    Could not be happier with the result, thanks guys for the suggestion (especially to vivid the case) as it showed what the problem was.

Cheers,

D
    veitnamcam likes this.