Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By zimmer

Thread: useing fed 215 (LRM) insted of standard LR

useing fed 215 (LRM) insted of standard LR

trying to be a cheap arse and repurpose what I have..... have just got dies to reload for my 7.62x39
    I also have a box of 123gn z-max (sst with a green tip)

I have some 2208 which in my nick harvy book it says28gn min - 29gn max ( apparently just over 2200fps) fine for plinking

however I don't have any standard LR primers in stock only LRM primers (FED215) rather than go buy more primers do you think I can get away with using 215's but backing the powder off a little

Sounds like a good idea to drop back on powder - I've got Fed 215LRM primers as well (308 and 2208), and will be dropping back - when I get going - a couple of grains, then take it up.
    IIRC from reading many years ago, these primers have a hotter flame than standard, but I could be wrong.

I suspect in a the case of 7.62x39 with smallish capacity using magnum primers you will get wide ES and poor accuracy. The go with primers is to use a primer with just enough flash intensity to set off your charge. There is already flash intensity variation between the various standard primers you can use to your advantage when reloading let alone going to the hotter magnums in a small case. I have used magnum primers in my Ackley with W760. The good books say it is essential to ignite ball powders with magnum primers. All I got using magnum over standard CCI was a minor increase in velocity and piss poor accuracy. So really only needed for LARGE capacity magnum cases and in some cases ball powder. I think using magnum primers will just introduce a load development issue for you.
    shooternz likes this.

Like zimmer said mag primers should only be used in magnum cartridges ADI powders are easy to ignite I load AR2213sc in a 25/06 with standard primers no ignition problems and excellent accuracy,
    In a small case like the 7.62x39 magnum primers could bump the pressure quite a bit, I would have thought that AR2208 is too slow for the 7.62x39 AR2207 and AR2206H would be better choices
    AR2208 will be safe enough but the pressure and velocity will be lower than normal, let us know how you go always interested in learning how powders perform.

yeah I run w760 or h414 (same shit driffrent bottle) in my 260 with 215s which is why I have a supply
    found a unopened box of 210's so I'm good to go
    yeah 2208 is slow 2230fps frpm an 18 inch barrel so my book says
    2400fps being the fastest speed from powders listed
    but I have a bottle which saves buying powder as I'm broke right at the mo

but I have a bottle which saves buying powder as I'm broke right at the mo[/QUOTE]
    You and me both bloody Christmas