Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Velocity Loss From Summer to Winter.

That was a lot of drop in Vo.

With Vitahouri or Norma powders you should see somewhere between 0,5 to 1,2 msec per 1C. (You had almost 1,8).

I would not be surprised if that powder gave irregular performance at the temperature extremes.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Now we can muse over wind induced POI elevation effects, and how frustrating they can be.

And shooting at extreme angles at distances past 1000yrds, considering the air density changes in the projectiles flight path due to the elevation difference between shooter and target.

And the need to use stepped BC's as the projectiles velocity decays out past 1500yrds.

I might go for a bush hunt now, my head hurts....

Sorry for the thread hijack
    I am not sorry that you did. It has made me think a lot. I was always aware that the heavy ordanance has been doing all this for years but I was unaware these calculations were now being applied to shoulder fired weapons.

A pilot that takes off from one strip and lands on another takes these above calculations into consideration during a flight.

sturg4
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Corriolis is a factor that has to be considered in some situations as well Scribe.
    Damn you 'R93' I am supposed to be writing a book and all my minds does is go around and around now trying to figure out how Corriolis Effect acts on a projectile in flight.

I understand how it effects rotor blades.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Scribe View Post
    Damn you 'R93' I am supposed to be writing a book and all my minds does is go around and around now trying to figure out how Corriolis Effect acts on a projectile in flight.

I understand how it effects rotor blades.
    Sorry Scribe I have never been the reason for writers block before.....cool.
    Apart from my spelling of coriolis its effect is not too much at ranges under a 1000. 7mmsaum explains the requirements.
    Your one up on me though............I understand how it effects projectiles and weather patterns but not rotor blades. But dont worry as I have the attention span of dried fruit so it wont cause any delays in my day. I have been tormenting a fire ant mound near where someone else is sitting. He's ex group, but a pussy. I am hoping he squeals like a girl when they get really grumpy!

Caretaker
    Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    Sorry Scribe I have never been the reason for writers block before.....cool.
    Apart from my spelling of coriolis its effect is not too much at ranges under a 1000. 7mmsaum explains the requirements.
    Your one up on me though............I understand how it effects projectiles and weather patterns but not rotor blades. But dont worry as I have the attention span of dried fruit so it wont cause any delays in my day. I have been tormenting a fire ant mound near where someone else is sitting. He's ex group, but a pussy. I am hoping he squeals like a girl when they get really grumpy!
    Did the Fire ants get him ????
    A big fast bullet beats a little fast bullet every time

R93

Velocity Loss From Summer to Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmsaum View Post
    Did the Fire ants get him ????
    Na. I almost got nailed by a small brown snake last night tho. I stood within in 12" of the feckers head.
    Was a tad chilly last night so I reckon it was docile or I would have been toast with marmite smeared clothing!
    The small ones are the most deadly because they don't know how much venom to use apparently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Banned
    A side note to the snake venom! in 2008 i went to south aus to press for some shearers who were shearing sheep breed for rattlesnake venom in the states. the Weather's were over 120kg's each as the more body weight the weather had the more anti venom they could extract 120kg weather could yeild 120mls of anti venom cool aye.

R93

Velocity Loss From Summer to Winter.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckshot View Post
    A side note to the snake venom! in 2008 i went to south aus to press for some shearers who were shearing sheep breed for rattlesnake venom in the states. the Weather's were over 120kg's each as the more body weight the weather had the more anti venom they could extract 120kg weather could yeild 120mls of anti venom cool aye.
    Yeah pretty cool but I don't ever want to be requiring the fruits of your labour.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk. So please forgive my sausage fingers!!!
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Banned
    Amn to that.I forgot to mention that they inject a tiny amount of snake venom into the weather's thats how they get the anti venom.

Just to toss in my $0.02, the shooter app has a part where you can enter in a hot/cold bullet speed and then a change in velocity per oC is automatically calculated for temp sensitive powders...technology can be your friend eh?

kj

I have just been thinking of using that feature as was shooting goats at 800 and having strikes high and when checked on a papa face was definitley high by 1/2 moa but fuck it was hot and there had been twenty rounds down the tube in a short time so i will get the oehler out and do some sums and see what happens
    My favorite sentences i like to hear are - I suppose so. and Send It!