Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Views on 7mm08 rounds

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Nathan Foster in Taranaki has written a long review and favours the Federal 150 gr factory ammo: 7mm-08 Remington.

It would be good to hear what you mean by inconsistent. For example, 3 shot groups will vary heaps in diameter and even 5 shots too. The best 25% of groups will always be way different from the worst 25%. Average grouping might differ between factory loads but if groups are sometimes big and sometimes small at different times and on different days it suggests a rifle problem, wind or something else. We would be interested to see pics of some of the "inconsistent groups" and some of the "remarkable difference" ones.
    Thanks for giving a link to his site some bloody good reading on there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagheera View Post
    Nathan Foster in Taranaki has written a long review and favours the Federal 150 gr factory ammo: 7mm-08 Remington.

It would be good to hear what you mean by inconsistent. For example, 3 shot groups will vary heaps in diameter and even 5 shots too. The best 25% of groups will always be way different from the worst 25%. Average grouping might differ between factory loads but if groups are sometimes big and sometimes small at different times and on different days it suggests a rifle problem, wind or something else. We would be interested to see pics of some of the "inconsistent groups" and some of the "remarkable difference" ones.
    Thanks Bagheera. That was a good read. A little bit humbling for someone that owns a 7mm-08.

Very interested in trying the 160's I've got loaded up, but I don't think I'll have them ready and sighted in for my next hunting trip (still trialling loads and powder charges etc).

If only it was as easy as having a 120g ultra fast expanding load set up for goats/smaller animals and some 160's for the bigger stuff. Having to re-sight all the time would be a pain.

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post
    Thanks Bagheera. That was a good read. A little bit humbling for someone that owns a 7mm-08.

Very interested in trying the 160's I've got loaded up, but I don't think I'll have them ready and sighted in for my next hunting trip (still trialling loads and powder charges etc).

If only it was as easy as having a 120g ultra fast expanding load set up for goats/smaller animals and some 160's for the bigger stuff. Having to re-sight all the time would be a pain.

It is easy. I run two loads in my 08 130 barnes and 168amax. amax zerod at 100y is barnes 1'' high
    Amax +200y barnes sub 300y
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    It is easy. I run two loads in my 08 130 barnes and 168amax. amax zerod at 100y is barnes 1'' high
    Amax +200y barnes sub 300y
    Hmm. I haven't tried to see if there is any horizontal difference in the POI, because if there is it'd be a pain in the arse.

As I said, haven't had a chance to test my 160's yet. Hopefully they just this a little lower and that's all. The last few times at the range have been prior to hunting trips so it's been a quick zero check then back on the rack.

I go for the "one rifle, one load" approach. Hence I've got a 7mm08 shooting 140gr ballistic tips. I think this is as good as anything for 70% of hunting in NZ: medium reds, sika, goats, pigs, ordinary tahr. Other cartridges are better for hares, Canada geese, targets, chamois, big tahr, wapiti and 300-500m but the 7mm08 can handle that 25% too, specially if you're familiar with it. It's a good all rounder.

Quote Originally Posted by RimfireNZ View Post

Dont be to humbled, like most web sites when you boil it all down its just one mans opinion. After youve used your 7mm08 for a while you will form your own opinions and they may argee or disagree with those on that particular site. Read all the information available but dont take it as gospel, in this game opinions out number facts by a very large number.
    "You'll never find a rainbow if you're looking down" Charlie Chaplin