Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree10Likes

Thread: What is the best case trimmer for consistency?

What is the best case trimmer for consistency?

About to start reload for my 6.5CM and improving my reloads for my 7mm Rem Mag. I normally use the Lee case trimmer but i find hard sometimes to keep it consistent. I have see all those "lets" style trimmers and so i am wondering what is the best option in the NZ market right now.

Cheers.

Mac

P.S.: I been thinking of those "Giraud" power tool thing, @gimp, i think you have or had one, can you give me an idea how "good" or not it is?

Any trimmer that turns the case, rather than the cutter will deliver a squarer end than the cutter turning one.
    Please excuse spelling, as finger speed is sometimes behind brain spped........ Or maybe the other wayy.....

Well, that excludes the Wilson and brings the Lee hand held back into contention.
    I have a very old Forster which I have recently got three way cutters for. It makes an excellent job with trim to length and outside/inside chamfering all done in one operation, at the correct angles.
    If I was starting again I would probably get a Wilson.
    The Little Crow is the one that seems to currently excite people. It is very fast but I don’t like the fact that it indexes off the shoulder rather than the base.
    It all depends upon the level precision you are after. It is all very well to have a super square trimmed case but if the rest of your process uses for example crap dies any precision in trimming is nulled.
    The Lee hand held still does a more than adequate job.
    Beaker and PERRISCICABA like this.

My favorite is the worlds finest trimmer (google it in the US) as each cal comes with its own guide for trim length off the shoulder depth set and I can set the depths to whatever I want and is really really consistent.

Very Quick too about 5 seconds per case with the battery drill.
    Dead is better likes this.

R93
    I have a .223 Giraud one. Bloody good bit of kit. He only makes them for few standard calibers iirc. I couldn't get one for my Ackley.
    Trims, chamfer and deburr in one go and consistent if doing brass shot in same rifle.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Carpe Diem View Post
    My favorite is the worlds finest trimmer (google it in the US) as each cal comes with its own guide for trim length off the shoulder depth set and I can set the depths to whatever I want and is really really consistent.

Very Quick too about 5 seconds per case with the battery drill.
    Little Crow
    Dead is better and Carpe Diem like this.

Yup!

Name:  wft01.jpg
Views: 1017
Size:  766.0 KBName:  wft02.JPG
Views: 1326
Size:  683.4 KB

Love my WFT in 223

Ok, I am listening all of you guys, somehow looks like the best cheap option the Lee trimmer. Now, if I go to the "power tools" options how much will it set me back ($$$)?
    Next question, can I source this little crow tool here in NZ or only America?

Thank you all of you guys who take the time to answer.

Cheers

Mac

res
    Have several wft, absolutely love them.

They ship from the USA easy as, just go to there website and order away

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    PERRISCICABA likes this.
    Using Tapatalk

@res what is the max amount of neck you can trim off? Could 3/4 of the neck length be removed for example?

res
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireflite View Post
    @res what is the max amount of neck you can trim off? Could 3/4 of the neck length be removed for example?
    Hmmm I have never tried, but they are very adjustable. I use one to make 300blk cases from 223 and when I do that I from a lot off. If you had to you could probably reduce the thickness of the plastic insert that indexes the case as this thickness would seem to be the only limiting factor. I'm a little to far away from mine to check sorry but I have found the maker to be very fast at responding to emails so it could be worth emailing them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by PERRISCICABA View Post
    Ok, I am listening all of you guys, somehow looks like the best cheap option the Lee trimmer. Now, if I go to the "power tools" options how much will it set me back ($$$)?
    Mac
    Hey just to make sure you do realise you can use the Lee trimmer with a power tool, right?

Quote Originally Posted by WillB View Post
    Hey just to make sure you do realise you can use the Lee trimmer with a power tool, right?
    Thank you! Yes I do, my "bother" with my Lee is that it keep letting loose the cases every second one, if I tight "too much" then it gets hard to loosen up and sometimes even get "a" case not straight.
    My "main" reason is, get a trimmer that will be "faster" with less work around with the cases.

Sinclair / Wilson Ultimate trimmer there is nothing like it.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.