Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: What shotgun ammo for ducks

What shotgun ammo for ducks

Typically I buy the cheapest I can because I am a rubbish shot, so there is little point in spending a huge amount.

But with duck shooting upon us, as per usual left everything last minute so ended up have to buy some pretty expensive ammo.
    Looks like it's pretty fast for a shotgun, will be interesting to see if my hit ratio improves, or if I just miss with more $$ and more Fps.

Ejected
    If you change speeds then the lead changes so you end up confusing yourself. I just buy falcon from farmlands because it kills things dead and it's the cheapest.
    tetawa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    If you change speeds then the lead changes so you end up confusing yourself. I just buy falcon from farmlands because it kills things dead and it's the cheapest.
    Snap. Just been in and got another slab. Not all the time cheap is nasty, but this stuff works for me as well. They've improved the brew I think, and as you say.... It kills them dead

I got a slab of Eley #3 Works out at $15.53 a box cause I can claim on the GST
    Name:  731.jpg
Views: 1175
Size:  165.1 KB
    "Thats not a knife, this is a knife"
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    CFD

tps://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20180505T00&p0=264&msg=Dundees+Countdo wn+to+Gamebird+Season+2018&font=cursive

Falcon is 13.95 at CRT Farmlands. Whatever you want to call it. GST to come off that as well
    Dundee and JoshC like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MassiveAttack View Post
    Lead? I just point and shoot and hope for the best, well that's what it feels like.

Turns out faster more expensive ammo makes me no better or worse. Will stick to cheap ammo I think.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    I bought a slab of gamebore 3" steel 3 shot 32gr last year and am still using it.
    But..
    I really think it should be binned, I had heaps of trouble downing ducks for good with it
    Shit shooting or not I shot a number of duck twice with this stuff this afternoon
    Maybe it just doesn't suit me, I will go back to falcon for my next lot.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Quote Originally Posted by jakewire View Post
    I bought a slab of gamebore 3" steel 3 shot 32gr last year and am still using it.
    But..
    I really think it should be binned, I had heaps of trouble downing ducks for good with it
    Shit shooting or not I shot a number of duck twice with this stuff this afternoon
    Might be interesting to pattern a few of those Gamebore shells if you have some big sheets of paper/cardboard. I had disappointing results with some expensive 3" copperplated buffered lead shells. Finally patterned them...piss poor, only a few pellets in the middle of the sheet! Little chance of a clean kill over 30 yd. Went back to using Falcon SP40 at $160/slab from the farm shop.

Tried some Eley Lightning yesterday. Horrible crap. Back to Falcon 3" 3s - it just works.

If you want a kill ratio of 10 to 1 then use Eley. To be honest all steal shot should be banned as you can't get a clean kill with it. Bring back the lead I say!
    tetawa likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

Very hard to buy steel shot locally.

Flaming hell, in the suburbs you just have to lean out the bed room window with the old air rifle and pot your duck, the flaming things are all over the place and probably taste like stale bread. Every time I take the little doggie for a walk he just about pulls my arms off trying to catch one.

But..
    try modified choke...this worked really well for me in my H&R pump.

bought some winchester Xpert in #2 this year as finnaly found some in shop that didnt cost both my arm ,leg and left testicle...absolutely love this load in either 2 3/4" or 3" just had work out with my old SxS which has NO CHOKE as it was cut off...in last 2 days Ive fired 16 rounds and made 6 kills 5 ducks and a cheeky hare
    3 of those ducks were pass shot parries and the mallard hen that was jump shot at 5 yards and had wad in its back still got eaten...lol the pellets had all just carried on through....

But..
    Just head shoot ya ducks mate, problem solved
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.