Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: >17's

>17's

Hey guys So I was looking at a .17 HMR but then told a .17 Fireball from Remington would better suit my long range magpie and rabbit ambitions.

Has anyone had any trigger time on this model?
    Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Just to confuse matters further...

http://m.hornady.com/store/17-Hornet

if you want a wildcat and do your own reloading ??

.17 ackley hornet
    shooting .17 ackley hornet so size dos'nt matter

If it goes Boom; I'm there faregame's Avatar
    The .17 Hornet seems to be interesting
    Plus reloading abilities

I had a HMR - sold it and have a .17 hm2 - reason sold - was too much at the ranges normally used (close up on possums), yet the hm2 was still good and flat for rabbits out to nice distances
    HMR was getting close to 223 cost, but no ability to reload - yet not as powerful - so only for small game

See this thread too
    http://www.nzhuntingandshooting.co.n...-caliber-9813/

at the risk of opening a can of worms im loading 10.5 grains of powder and IMHO MY 17 HAS MORE KILLING POWER than a 223 by the simple fact that the bullet never exits the body of the target animal so all its energy is expended ... less recoil less noise and you have a win win situation
    Hunt4life likes this.

Fulla
    Quote Originally Posted by sakkaranz View Post
    at the risk of opening a can of worms im loading 10.5 grains of powder and IMHO MY 17 HAS MORE KILLING POWER than a 223 by the simple fact that the bullet never exits the body of the target animal so all its energy is expended ... less recoil less noise and you have a win win situation
    to put up the other side of the debate, he said long range magpies etc. your 17 might be fast and flat shooting, but it wont have the wind bucking abilities of the higher b.c .224 projectiles.
    as far as killing power, any projectile will kill a varmint.
    but I guess all this depends on your idea of long range. each to there own

R93
    You may find the retention inside the animal has more to do with the projectile than anything else. Unless you fire a similar load in charge and projectile weight I fail to see how you can even start to compare them.

I have shot deer with a .223 at ranges I would never consider attempting with a .17 of any configuration.
    Last edited by R93; 24-12-2013 at 12:08 PM.
    jakewire, veitnamcam and Hunt4life like this.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Not just an internet expert... The Claw's Avatar
    Shooting beside my mate with his 17 Hornet (using 20gr zmax) and me with my 20 tactical (using 40gr vmax) there is absolutely no comparison. The 20 cal tears rabbits apart and hits with much more authority at 300m than the 17 does at 100m. As said above, when using similarly constructed projectiles there isn't a comparison

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk
    veitnamcam, Matt2308 and Hunt4life like this.
    If it's not a first round hit you need to practice more

Quote Originally Posted by .375H&H View Post
    Hey guys So I was looking at a .17 HMR but then told a .17 Fireball from Remington would better suit my long range magpie and rabbit ambitions.

I had a 17 fireball briefly but it was completely over shadowed by my 20 tactical so I didn't use it much... I have considered a 17 Hornet, but think I will just get more brass for the 20 and use the funds that would have gone into a 17 on reloading components for the 20...

R93
    .221 Fireball has always interested me. 45-50 gr projectiles @ 3000fps.

I personally, would not have a use for a centerfire .17 but would like a rimfire one eventually.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by R93 View Post
    .221 Fireball has always interested me. 45-50 gr projectiles @ 3000fps.

I personally, would not have a use for a centerfire .17 but would like a rimfire one eventually.
    20 vartag is a cool round to with 32gr projectiles... (221 fireball necked down to 20 cal)

R93 likes this.

see lol

Keep safe in the hills! Gunzrrr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by .375H&H View Post

I'm a big fan of HMR's. Cheap to run and really reliable (for me). In order to answer your question - we really need to understand what other rifles you have and therefore which calibre plugs the gaps (as it were) in your collection. Here's what I shoot depending on the type of game & distances I'll face.
    20 > 80 yards = .22LR (usually my subsonic but I also have a HV rig as well)
    50 > 150 yards = .17HMR (suppressed)
    100 > 250 yards = .223 (lightweight suppressor for walk around)
    100 > 400 yards = .204 (heavier weight barrel & suppressor for varminting (drive or sit))
    ... but I also like buying/owning firearms!
    Keep safe in the hills.
    Hunt4life and Shearer like this.

Dump all energy in animal theory is flawed.
    Haven't recovered a Barnes yet but they drop on the spot.
    Conversely have had substantially more than one fail on well placed shots at close range with frangible projectiles.

your 223 vs 17 argument is all outta whack unless your comparing vmax to 223 fmj
    bully and Toby like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

as this is a varminting and small game post then to compare the overkill ability on deer of the 223 is out of whack .. the original question was is the .17 suitable for rabbits and magpies