Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Access

Access

Hi guys, can anyone help out with hunting access, goats, deers, pigs anything really.

Willing to pay or trade with with stock food milk powder.

Willing to travel pretty much anywhere in the north island

DOC provide a lot of access in that area.
    7mmsaum, Shootm, BRADS and 1 others like this.
    Experience. What you get just after you needed it.

That is true, just trying my luck as all the DOC places i've tried have even been 1080'd or have foot traffic like being in a town
    Steve123 likes this.

Check out the Kaimanawas or Kawekas. Or maybe the Ruahines or Tararuas. Heaps of land to explore in any of those areas.
    7mmsaum and Shootm like this.

Thanks Shearer, i've been spending a fair bit of time around a few area's in the Kaimanawas. Im only new to hunting so figured the best way to learn would be to target sika, i had no idea how smart and sneaky those little buggers are. The challenge is what makes it so good, anyone can shoot but it takes a lot of skill to hunt

Sounds like you are doing the right thing then. Just keep at it and you will learn as you go and probably meet a few people who can give you some pointers.
    Sika are probably not the easiest species to learn to hunt but it is always fun when they let you know you've been busted.

I figure if i can learn to hunt sika other species will be a lot easier after them. Im in it to learn and not just put meat in the freezer, that will come in time.
    I know exactly what you mean, i got onto some fresh sign last weekend and tracked it for a while, once i lost the track i walked another hour to a look out over a river with toi toi islands, about 2 hours of glassing and i heard it whistle from where it got my scent from where i went in after it. Had my first sika roar last year and was amazed how vocal they were

you dont need private land mate, I hunt public land and shoot a heap of deer, their out there and in extremely healthy numbers.
    7mmsaum and BLR-Bushpig like this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    you dont need private land mate, I hunt public land and shoot a heap of deer, their out there and in extremely healthy numbers.
    Totally agree. The plus sides to public land is you go when you want where you want and shoot what you want
    No one should be able to tell you what you can and can't shoot. Sure certain times of year you have to think about but asides from that just rip into it

Hamish

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    BLR-Bushpig likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR-Bushpig View Post
    Hi guys, can anyone help out with hunting access, goats, deers, pigs anything really.

Willing to pay or trade with with stock food milk powder.

Willing to travel pretty much anywhere in the north island
    Where are you based?
    Might be someone close by that could take you if known where you are.
    Tahr and BLR-Bushpig like this.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!

Quote Originally Posted by Shootm View Post
    Where are you based?
    Might be someone close by that could take you if known where you are.
    Hi Shootm, didn't even realise there was that part of the profile to set-up, im from hamilton but and happy to travel anywhere in the north island. I've mostly been in the Kaimanawa's, a few trips into the Ruahines and a few trips into Pureora's both north block and piropiro flats

Quote Originally Posted by HNTMAD View Post
    Totally agree. The plus sides to public land is you go when you want where you want and shoot what you want
    No one should be able to tell you what you can and can't shoot. Sure certain times of year you have to think about but asides from that just rip into it

Hamish

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk
    I didn't think of it that way, most of the places i've tried seem to be heavily hunted, i was more so asking about private land to get away from the other hunters than thinking animal numbers.
    What your saying about DOC land makes perfect sense though, maybe more of a case of needing to go other places than anything else

Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    I didn't think of it that way, most of the places i've tried seem to be heavily hunted, i was more so asking about private land to get away from the other hunters than thinking animal numbers.
    What your saying about DOC land makes perfect sense though, maybe more of a case of needing to go other places than anything else

You're right about foot traffic in those areas though. Just gotta look at the population base and what areas are handy to the population plus ease of access

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    BLR-Bushpig likes this.

If your not fast your last Shootm's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BLR-Bushpig View Post
    Hi Shootm, didn't even realise there was that part of the profile to set-up, im from hamilton
    You got that sorted. Hopefully someone up that way can help you out.

I Have Sexdaily. I mean Dyslexia! Fcuk!