Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Advice on .22magnum

Advice on .22magnum

So went for a shoot in the weekend with my .22lr with newly fitted gunworks suppressor and i was a bit disappointed with the power of it now. the gun is just a cheap savage .22lr, i do have a tikka .223 for long range stuff when we are out on the farm away from the homestead. I was shooting around 100-150m shot a large hare and the bugger ran off so what im thinking of getting is a .22mag and fitting my suppressor to that. As far as power goes is this going to do the job for that type of distance if not a bit further? And what is the noise like out of one? I dont want to use the .223 around the houses as it makes too much noise.

Any thoughts our advice would be great, also would fitting a suppressor to the .223 make it much quieter or not going to make much of a difference?

Hares can be tough buggers. I'd just suppress the 223 though, 22mag is kinda stuck in the middle without doing either job that well - I had one and sold it for a 223.

How quite would the .223 suppressed being compared to a .22mag, had a look on youtube but kind of hard to tell from a vid

You sure you hit it? The difference in POI between 100 and 150m is huge with a .22, so you could have clean missed or missed the engine room?
    "Here's the deal I'm the best there is. Plain and simple. I wake up in the morning and I piss excellence."

Couldnt catch it to find out, took the shot it moved/jumped as if it got hit, not as in what the hell was that kind of move? starting walking over to it and ran off haha, maybe i missed and just gave it a freight when the bullet landed next to it? Certainly seemed like it got hit though? Either way good excuse for a new gun right?

northdude
    hi i had a zastava 22magnum after a trigger polish it was a nice shooter id say it would do the job i had a supressor on it as well it quietened it down a lot but i ended up selling it and got one of my old favs a 22 hornet
    Hunt4life likes this.

Tread carefully in the suck... ishoot10s's Avatar
    What GravelBen said. Suppress the 223. About all you'll hear is the super-sonic crack of the projectile.
    10MRT shooters do it 60 times, in two directions and at two speeds.

Get closer to the Hare.
    you will save on bullets and noise...

Gapped axe, Toby and Gunzrrr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by 6MMBR View Post
    Get closer to the Hare.
    you will save on bullets and noise...

I do need to work on my stalking ability haha. maybe its practice i need and not a new gun
    Bill999 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ishoot10s View Post
    What GravelBen said. Suppress the 223. About all you'll hear is the super-sonic crack of the projectile.
    + 1

SiB
    Suppressed.22mag good to 100m anyways. My eyes fail before the rifle foes beyond that.

I dream of owning a .223 for longer shots etc but can't beat a .22mag for ammo cost against.223.

my .22mag is suppressed you still get the sonic crack but waaay improved over bare rifle.

imo you wold be crazy to buy a 22mag if you already have a 223. Suppress the 223 and it will be quite as

SiB
    Just re-read your post. Suppress the .223

Agreed, suppress the 223. I reload and the cost is about the same if not slightly less for the 223 as the 22mag. I was thinking about a 22mag but the 223 is more versatile.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Cheers for the advice, suppress the .223 it is I might upgrade the .22lr as the missus wants one as well, so the next question is if im spending the money do i go .22lr or .22mag haha hmmmm