Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree57Likes

Thread: Best Subsonic 22LR Hunting Ammo ?

It's all about shot placement

Remmington 38grn subs float my boat good to about 35 meters on sheep...I don't have yards

Quote Originally Posted by kidmac42 View Post
    I use winchester 42g sub's in my 795 , they go fine.
    Mine loves them, pity they cost more than the Rolling Stones for a private New Years Eve party. Tried the cheaper 40gr equiv, no deal. If you ever see that orange/red box PMC zapper stuff, grab a box or two and give it a try, my 795ss likes them best (although yes supersonic). Got given a bunch a while back, tried it, liked it, and was running low recently, saw some at a gun show for $6/ box so grabbed it all
    kidmac42 likes this.

Ejected
    I think the best killing 22 ammo is the all lead (as opposed to copper washed) projectiles with the biggest hollow point possible. This generally means subsonics which are also the most accurate admittedly at the cost of a little more drop.

Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    Remmington 38grn subs float my boat good to about 35 meters on sheep...I don't have yards
    remington (dupont powder) ammo is dirtier than a manchester st hooker
    Boaraxa likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by 7mmwsm View Post
    No its not. Some projectiles perform a lot better than others when placed in the same spot.
    Enough projectile manufacturers have done heaps of research to prove that.
    Still about shot placement mate, you can gut shoot rabbits all day long and the results won't be much different between brands. I find a head or shoulder shot no matter what brand of subs used works.
    However some "brands" kill better than others with marginal shots.
    Confidence in the ammo you use is another factor, especially as the distance opens up.
    Growlybear likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by gonetropo View Post
    remington (dupont powder) ammo is dirtier than a manchester st hooker
    Is it what! My 795 goes from clean to jammed in two mags with that utter shit. Anything else will do a brick or two and get then get cleaned with little or no effect on cycling

Quote Originally Posted by zimmer View Post
    Heh Greg have you shot any more groups with yours lately. You did post a stunner some time ago.
    I haven't even taken it out of the safe since then.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Mine loves them, pity they cost more than the Rolling Stones for a private New Years Eve party. Tried the cheaper 40gr equiv, no deal. If you ever see that orange/red box PMC zapper stuff, grab a box or two and give it a try, my 795ss likes them best (although yes supersonic). Got given a bunch a while back, tried it, liked it, and was running low recently, saw some at a gun show for $6/ box so grabbed it all
    Yep my .22 likes the Aussie Win 42 subsonic too.

I remember using PMC Zappers after that big advertising promo they did here in the late 1980's and it was widely available for a few years after that but have not seen it for a long time. They did the standard velocity solid, HV solids and hollow points and Moderator subsonic hollow points. Takes me back...

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by quentin View Post
    CCI Subs and Eley match work really well through my CZ455. ....
    Bullet expansion is pretty much zero with both of these rounds...
    I have done a lot of possum shooting using CCI SV and CCI Subs. they are both subsonic at about the same speed, the only difference is one is solid and the other is hollow point. CCI Subs clearly does better than CCI SV in killing power. Since the weight is the same and speed is the same, it must mean Subs does expand.

Some people use a tool to tap/press a hollow point out of the SV. how well that makes the solid expand is actually an interesting question. People who do it seem to live it so it must work to some degree.

Sadly we dropped in choice of subsonic loads when Aguila subsonic and PMC moderator disappeared off the market. That Aguila load shot well and was very quiet.

A Better Lover Than A Shooter Ultimitsu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kiwi Greg View Post
    What are Guys using subsonic hunting ammo ?

I have my Lithgow which shoots really well with the SK ammo I have, but it sucks for hunting.
    IMHO, there is a trade off each person must decide for themselves. Best killing power and best accuracy are mutually exclusive. The question is how far you would pursue killing power and accept the loss of accuracy. That question should nto be determined in a vacuum. It depends on the inherent accuracy in the rifle, the shooting style ( freehand or bipod), type of game, the purpose of shooting, and whether a few losses is acceptable. It is a complex mental algebra. Most people seem to settle on CCI subs, myself included.
    viper likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Krameranzac View Post
    Sadly we dropped in choice of subsonic loads when Aguila subsonic and PMC moderator disappeared off the market. That Aguila load shot well and was very quiet.
    The Aguila may be equivalent in the Mex made Fiocchi subs but that too has gone at present.

SK have also discontinued SK Subs - yeah I know, no loss as not effective but I find them excrutiatingly accurate for paper punching.

Ejected
    I can confirm that when you gut shoot a rabbit with a 223 and a vmax it's dead. Not saying anybody should gut shoot rabbits but it's more insurance for when you don't hit it in the right place. There is no replacement for displacement.

Name:  CwJD8KiWcAAJAJi.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  24.2 KB

Rabbit shooting at central
    Quest likes this.