Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree3Likes
  • 3 Post By oraki

Thread: Boys first wallaby

Boys first wallaby

Took the boy out yesterday for a wander in the hills yesterday. Found a likely spot overlooking 2 guts and 4 faces to glass over. All I can say is it was a great afternoon sitting in the sun getting burnt. Nothing seen. Waited til 8.00 when the first one popped his head up. Boy lined up and one shot kill, 120yds. Over the moon would be an understatement. A hare came along to see what had happened, and found out the hard way.
    The next hr saw wallabys coming along nicely, til we ran out of daylight. Total for day:9 wallabys,1 hare, 12 shots, 3 I had to take left handed.
    What's the secret to daytime hunting? Do ya wander around and flush them, or pick a better spot to sit on. It was on DOC ground and not to far off beaten track, so would probably see abit of pressure so they have turned nocturnal I think.
    Have to find some private access I think because they were everywhere when heading back to ute. With a light we could've stayed til we ran out of ammo, and had a hell of a time. The dogs are gunna enjoy our fun anyway. Something new to eat
    Sorry no photos, phone went dead when needed. I know, this story means nothing without pictures, tuff, I'm sorry, get over it
    Last edited by oraki; 29-11-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    Dundee, mikee and Frogfeatures like this.

Sounds like a great evening.

They really just won't show in the heat of the day.. You can often flush a few out of the thick scrub where they'll be sleeping, or may find the odd one down in a cool shady creek, but for the most part, you've just got to wait for the heat to go out of that sun. That last hour of light is the real killing hour..

The exception being a misty drizzly day, or plenty of thick low cloud. Then you'll find them out in good numbers in all sorts of daft places, like you wouldn't believe.

Caretaker - Gone But Not Forgotten jakewire's Avatar
    A good evening shoot, happy for the lad
    yip, unless your keen on wandering about in the middle of the day in the high country flushing wallaby
    the best option is to shoot the mornings , snooze the late morning /avro as they do and shoot the late arvo/ evenings.
    They are to be had during the day especially in the winter, but walking about in the daytime summer heat in the haka area, Nah, not for me anymore.
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

Or you get yourself a good terrier to flush them out if you want to walk all day