Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By oneshot

Thread: Christchurch area Rabbit and Hare spots?

Christchurch area Rabbit and Hare spots?

Hey all, recently moved to Christchurch, just bought a .17hmr and want to take it out for some hares, I hear they are delicious!

Going to get my DOC permit on monday, and for private land I have a quality spotlight set up and a truck for getting from place to place.

Are there any areas within a hour or so drive of Chch that you can knock over a few bunnies?

I have been making a few calls and I have a couple of leads on private land that I can hunt on, I have had the nod but just waiting to meet the owners and what not before heading out. Id be happy to share hunting spots and connections with the right people.

Any suggestions or responsible hunting buddies would be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Strider

I used to spotlight Castle Hill Station, got an easy 50 Hares each night, nice people and easy to deal with, could go and ask them but they may have someone else by now. actually most places I went door knocking were more than happy to let me knock over Hares, Cats, rabbits, just be polite and respectful and you shouldn't have a problem, sounds like your already most of the way there though.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Cheers oneshot, I still have to get my head around the area and figure out potential hunting areas and where the hare populations are and what not.
    How did you get in touch with the people at Castle Hill Station?

Is it a matter of going out for a visit or am I better off tracking down a contact for each potential farm and calling rather than turning up un announced?

Thanks heaps.

I went and knocked on their door, I explained that I was from a farming back ground so knew all the rules with gates/stock etc, best time to go and say hello anywhere is afternoons on a weekend so your not disturbing someone eating their dinner, as that would piss me off.
    I had a couple of places in Hawarden North Canterbury as well, one place was plagued with Feral cats, Bloody good fun to spotlight and bomb up. Most of the Hares were not used to being shot at so were easy pickings. I used to bomb up the rabbits around a farm house as well with the owners sitting on their porch watching for entertainment.
    Uplandstalker likes this.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Haha awesome, thats what I'm after for sure. Ill track down an address and head out one weekend for a yack. If ya fancy divulging any other sweet spots I'm all ears, shoot me a PM. Thanks heaps