Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: JW15 yeah or nah

Ishouted myself one 2nd hand -a stumpy version.bloody rippa .and its like me old Mod17Toz-suits me for what i want.had a prob with stiff safety but guyat GC remedied that pronto and kindly showed me how to strip the bolt while he was at it.
    must say shes a wee pearler for use in the gooserolla -compact ++++so as one emerges to face "ISIS possums" one is already weilding the TOOL.
    Mind you i run norinco 7.62x39/.223 as well and both of them also come very comfortably to hand .
    should i strike any real behavioural issue then its the mighty .303 or the equally diplomatic 12g

Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    I have a marlin stainless 795 in bloody good cond which iv been thinking about moving on . It's a real accurate one as most of them are .Pm if interested.
    Where was it made?

Quote Originally Posted by BRADS View Post
    You get @Toby to shoot that group for you?
    Nah. As you can see I pulled one shot in each of the groups on the dot. And I did that all my self.

At least I out shot him with his rifle though.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

I have a Jw15a. Not sure what the "a" means or of it's any different to any of the others. Mine is the over barrel suppressed one with plastic stock and I love it. Small, light and shoots accurate as. It is rough but to me they are tools not show pieces. I only have a cheap 4x32 outdoor optics scope on it.
    This at 30m I think it was. 10 shots.
    Name:  uploadfromtaptalk1441970244221.jpg
Views: 462
Size:  56.0 KB

Sent from my workbench
    Pengy and Skatieguy like this.
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Mate and I have done 25-30 of these JW15s - polish the action, chop to 16" and tidy up. All but one were well under 1" for 5 shot groups at 50m, and most could drop under 1/2" for groups at best. Cheap little rifles but often with surprisingly good barrels. Consistently outperform alot more expensive units in full bench test. Occasional duds - eg the polytech stuff as timandtalon noted.

The chopped, polished JW definitely has its place and after owning maybe 100 22s of most makes the little JW is a great favorite as a worker. Here's a 'how to' for Norinco JW15s from nzrimfire:

JW15 modifications and setup ideas

Other useful bolt action 22 models - Marlin, Toz 78, Savage, Zastava - good worker 22s that won't break the bank and it won't matter if they get a few marks. Some need a little polishing but will prove very effective on the bunnies. Some of the little Euros like Voere and Krico are also good but risk is with parts supply. Make no mistake the little JW15, its cousin the EM332, and the Marlin 22s (very good rimfire barrels) will match anything on the bench and often beat 'name' brands.

My favourites - Marlin 925 (0.37" for 5 shot groups at 50m), JW15 (0.34" at 50m), Norinco EM332 (four consecutive groups at 100m averaging 0.6"), Toz 78 (0.7" at 50m) and CZ/Brno at 0.4" at 50m.

Quite a few good options as worker 22s.
    veitnamcam, gadgetman and etrain like this.

Quote Originally Posted by von tempsky fan View Post
    I have a marlin stainless 795 in bloody good cond which iv been thinking about moving on . It's a real accurate one as most of them are .Pm if interested.
    If it's a good price then grab it, they're bloody hard to come by and are great rifles, I'll never sell mine.
    possummatti likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Savage1 View Post
    If it's a good price then grab it, they're bloody hard to come by and are great rifles, I'll never sell mine.
    Mine will out shoot most bolt guns and gives my EM a run for its money. Mine is a North Haven one. They have now been Remingtonised and are made in a nasty factory in Kentucky.

True that - marlin semiautos very accurate. Keep them clean, just one drop of oil in action on bolt, and run them on CCI and they shoot well.

From all my 22s over the years the 50m benchrest record for sporters is held by two marlin 60 semiautomatics. One shot 0.25" for 5 shot group at 50m, and more importantly averaged 0.29" for four groups. The second marlin 60DLX semiauto also shot a best of 0.25", and averaged 0.39". Shocked the hell out of me..

Marlin 795s all tested down to sub half inch - easily matching accurate bolt action sporters. Basic rifles, good barrels.

Most accurate 22 at 100m - Norinco EM332 with PMC Match Rifle ammo.

Took my brother in law to the Taupo range during the week. Got his first rifle, one of those jw15 combo jobbies at GC.
    I took my Marlin 925 with. Now it could be that he got a dud, but we could not get consistency out of it at all.

Ammo used: Win Bulk 38g hv hp, CCI std 40g round nose, Win 40g subs.

The Marlin was giving micro-groove quality grouping at 50m as per usual. However, the Norinco would put a couple of shots on target, with a flyer every 3rd or 4th(really intermittent) shot. And by flyer I mean not even on the A4 size target paper Got real frustrating after a while. I'm thinking some imperfections on the crown maybe? This was the same with all the variations of ammo we used. We tried it at 25m but had the same issue.

Think we'll try it again at a later date just to make sure. Anyone shed any light on this maybe?
    Aim, take the safety off.........and dance

Scope and mounts I would say... Something has to be seriously wrong with the rifle (visibly wrong) for results like that I would of thought

Quote Originally Posted by PerazziSC3 View Post
    Scope and mounts I would say... Something has to be seriously wrong with the rifle (visibly wrong) for results like that I would of thought
    The scope mounts on my 795 stainless would 'walk' very gradually until I gave them a tad more jandal than recommended. Now it's mint. Will probably keep it forever

Check the rifling. Had a norinco .22magnum with a visiable bump on the rifling lol

Thanks guys. Will check all this at next outing
    Aim, take the safety off.........and dance

If it is the crown it should be pretty obvious to see, think it would have to be really ugly to throw fliers that far out. Other suggestions certainly worth checking too.