Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: New HMR

LOC
    Quote Originally Posted by Maca49 View Post
    Better than plastic then? Thanks
    that's it's only flaw have fun with it
    Maca49 likes this.

That's a bloody nice looking bit of kit , very envious!
    Maca49 likes this.

Looks like a real classy rig Maca - what sort of group can you get at 100 and what do you find to be the best brand of ammo?
    I just can’t get my Savage to group well and the magpies are jumping and flying - they have got chicks out there now and I can’t hit them - maybe 150m
    I have used a box of Hornady and can’t get it to group inside 75mm - collected 30 shells and see a couple of split necks
    I have used 20 Winchester and looks like they group a bit better - maybe 50mm - collected 15 shells - 7 end to end splits and a couple of neck splits
    I bought it from GC and they put a Ranger 4.5-14*40 scope on it - which I thought would be OK for round the farm - but maybe it’s a heap of shit because I am finding it does unusual things when I adjust the scope - 1 click down and it jumps 50mm out to the side - or maybe the rifle is shit?
    Might strip it down today and reduce the trigger pressure to 1.5lb
    I have been sighting it using a box last couple of times so reasonably steady
    Any thoughts appreciated - maybe I flick it and go back to my 22
    7mmsaum likes this.

LOC
    can you throw the scope from your 22 on the HMR? that way you'll know if the issue is with the ranger scope

nice lookn rifle/stock in a great caliber . . definitely try a proven scope first

good luck . . . R

I can see the problem immediately.... It's where you brought it from the idea to put scope on the 22 is a good one. Strip and clean would probably help

also have you tried different bullet weights, some of the HMRs don't like the 20gr but love the 17gr

@Maca49 Nah my Sako is nicer ... If it ever arrives back currently lost in space with Slow way couriers .. Taken three days since it left Hamilton and still not here...
    Not to mention a carbon fibre stock that left Tauranga on bloody Monday ... Fastway.. What a joke its a bloody 40 minute drive ffs ...
    "This is my Flag... Ill only have the one ..

Hahahaha
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Checklist for non grouping: My order is from easiest and cheapest to more expensive
    1.Check Scope first and mounts, rings are tight,
    2.Check for any Paralax issues with scope causing jumping reticle between shots.
    2.But also any markings inside the suppressor baffles might be just touching the round exiting (also check the Muzzle for any burrs particularly around the rifling grooves especially if you've had it fitted for the suppressor its wearing)
    3.Good clean and scrub inside barrel in case barrel is a highly carbon depositing barrel. Especially the muzzle where carbon can build up where it meets the supressor.
    4. No copper streaks in the twist grooves
    5. Ammo various makers and weights
    6. Bedding, some of the Boyd stocks are too soft so over time the wood softens and the action moves out of its tension bedding. If its like the 22lr I had you may need to replace the bottom metal it screws ito as its too light to weight bear.

Disclaimer: Its a savage - some of them just don't shoot really tight - but most will given the right circumstances...
    Last edited by Carpe Diem; 17-11-2016 at 12:22 PM.

All of the above, except remove suppressor and try it.
    Then trade it in on a vay-roche eh @Maca49
    Maca49 likes this.

Wow, nice looking rifle.

As for the savage, mine shot great but hated the 20grain ammo for sure. Used the 17 gr and the "pattern" closed right up to 5 shots you could cover with a 5 cent coin.

Best way i know to improve a cheap guncity scope is knock the glass out with a screwdriver
    Carpe Diem and 223nut like this.
    Guy Fawks the only man to enter parliament with the interests of the people in mind

Take that Savage back and buy the Marlin that looks the same from Trade me...

Thanks for all the ideas Guys - I know I should have bought a quality rig - but maybe it will improve
    I pulled the action out of the stock - three loose screws - but the book does say don’t over tighten - 16 inch pounds - whatever that feels like?
    The trigger was set at 2.5lb - couldn’t get it any lower than 2lb
    Checked the bore of the silencer - Braveheart Hushpower - 7mm bore - looks like one size fits all at GC
    Checked the scope mounts - all tight
    Put it back together and put the snake through it - keen to try again - but need another box of ammo - I have been using 17gr - as I want fragmentation with some houses around
    So really just what breed of ammo - not Hornady or Winchester at this stage - if only I could get five shots inside a $2 coin
    Might get in serious trouble if I sell it - last fuck-up I made was getting a Tikka 22-250 for fallow - had to change it for a Tikka 243

My cz455 runs well on cci