Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: New virus release

New virus release

I know it's not new news but there was an article in the Otago daily Times about the release of the new virus. They haven't got approval yet from the way the rticle read.
    However when they do they re hoping for this Autumn or next spring.

I know rabbits are a problem down here and controls are needed ( and farmers more pro-active ) but I don't think releasing foreign virus's into our environment will be a good thing long term.

That shit is older than man and survives on being able to adapt and change.....who knows where it will end up.
    kidmac42 and planenutz like this.

Just what we need, Rabbit Aids
    kidmac42 likes this.

Jok
    I hope ou don't mind me asking but what is the name of this new virus and how will it affect the rabbit or population? Jok.

NEW VIRUS TO CONTROL RABBITS

Wednesday 16 Mar 2016

Dr Janine Duckworth of Landcare Research handling rabbit DNA samples.
    A new strain of virus could help New Zealand farmers slash rabbit numbers by up to 30 per cent.

The virus, called RHDV1-K5, is a Korean strain of the lethal calicivirus already present in New Zealand that causes rabbit haemorrhagic disease (RHD).

MPI and rabbit stakeholder groups are currently investigating the potential registration and approval for release of K5 into New Zealand to help control rabbit damage which costs the agricultural industry tens of millions in control and lost production each year.

Approval from MPI and the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) is required before it can be imported.

Dr Janine Duckworth, leader of Landcare Research’s rabbit biocontrol initiative, is providing science advice to the parties involved.

Duckworth said K5 had undergone thorough testing in Australia, where it is likely to be approved for release later this year.

“They’ve been testing lots of different strains and K5 is the one that looks the best. It could reduce rabbit numbers between 25 and 30 per cent,” Duckworth said.

But she cautions K5 isn’t a “silver bullet” to New Zealand’s rabbit problem.

“It’s hard to imagine there will ever be a silver bullet to eradicate rabbits,” she said.

However, the new strain of virus will provide farmers with a more cost-effective and efficient solution than strains currently in the field today. This should make follow-up with conventional trapping, shooting and dogs more effective and worthwhile too, Duckworth said.

The first strain of RHD, which was illegally imported in 1997, had a “huge impact” but unfortunately an increasing proportion of rabbits have become immune to the disease.

While K5 is expected to make a dent in rabbit numbers, Duckworth did not believe it would make as big an impact as RHD did when it was first introduced. The K5 strain will be a boost to rabbit control by killing some of the immune rabbits.

With a surge in rabbit numbers this year due to the good summer and mild winter she was worried some farmers may take matters into their own hands and try to illegally import the virus in from Australia.

“We don’t want an illegal release of the K5 strain. We want to ensure that control agencies use a commercially-prepared product, free from any unwanted viruses and that the timing and method of release is managed to ensure the best possible rabbit control outcomes for farmers.”

A vaccine is available for owners of domestic rabbits to protect their pets from the virus.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Thanks JoshC,
    saves me having to type that all out.

Quote Originally Posted by viper View Post
    Thanks JoshC,
    saves me having to type that all out.
    All good. Was talking to a rabbiter from twizel last week about numbers, he reckons the old strain has flared up again this season (as it does), and there are fewer young ones running around than normal for this time of year.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

Yeah I shoot several farms over here in and around Cromwell. Shot a farm last night and farmer commented that the virus has been back through. Noticeable lack of young one's about that were there two weeks ago.
    Personally I don't think the numbers have exploded like the "Bad old days" numbers to me seem about the same.
    They rise and fall.

I'd like to see some one show how much it costs to kill a rabbit with this virus compared to some bloke with a few dogs traps and a gun,
    Back in the 1930's an uncle of mine was a rabbiter on a south island station all he did all Spring to late Autumn was hunt rabbits he had them
    under control with out any viruses, Reckoned it was the best job he ever had did it for about 5 years up to the start of WW11
    Why should people with domestic rabbits have to shell out for a vaccine so farmers can conduct biological warfare on some fluffy critters,
    must be plenty of young fellas willing to hunt bunnies for a living.

in 5-10 years the same farms and areas will be back to high numbers because of no follow up work being done (shooting). there are some stations down here that have kept full time shooter since 1997 and they have very low numbers and plenty of feed.i am on one of them
    veitnamcam and gadgetman like this.

How does the Health and Safety affect you guys getting onto properties? Does it have an affect on recreational shooters help down numbers. Have had it used a few times to deny access?
    Boom, cough,cough,cough

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    you're just a shady looking character
    Gibo likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Quote Originally Posted by JoshC View Post
    NEW VIRUS TO CONTROL RABBITS

Wednesday 16 Mar 2016

A new strain of virus could help New Zealand farmers slash rabbit numbers by up to 30 per cent.

The virus, called RHDV1-K5, is a Korean strain of the lethal calicivirus already present in New Zealand that causes rabbit haemorrhagic disease (RHD).

MPI and rabbit stakeholder groups are currently investigating the potential registration and approval for release of K5 into New Zealand to help control rabbit damage which costs the agricultural industry tens of millions in control and lost production each year.

Approval from MPI and the Environment Protection Authority (EPA) is required before it can be imported.

Dr Janine Duckworth, leader of Landcare Research’s rabbit biocontrol initiative, is providing science advice to the parties involved.

Duckworth said K5 had undergone thorough testing in Australia, where it is likely to be approved for release later this year.

“They’ve been testing lots of different strains and K5 is the one that looks the best. It could reduce rabbit numbers between 25 and 30 per cent,” Duckworth said.

But she cautions K5 isn’t a “silver bullet” to New Zealand’s rabbit problem.

“It’s hard to imagine there will ever be a silver bullet to eradicate rabbits,” she said.

However, the new strain of virus will provide farmers with a more cost-effective and efficient solution than strains currently in the field today. This should make follow-up with conventional trapping, shooting and dogs more effective and worthwhile too, Duckworth said.

The first strain of RHD, which was illegally imported in 1997, had a “huge impact” but unfortunately an increasing proportion of rabbits have become immune to the disease.

While K5 is expected to make a dent in rabbit numbers, Duckworth did not believe it would make as big an impact as RHD did when it was first introduced. The K5 strain will be a boost to rabbit control by killing some of the immune rabbits.

With a surge in rabbit numbers this year due to the good summer and mild winter she was worried some farmers may take matters into their own hands and try to illegally import the virus in from Australia.

“We don’t want an illegal release of the K5 strain. We want to ensure that control agencies use a commercially-prepared product, free from any unwanted viruses and that the timing and method of release is managed to ensure the best possible rabbit control outcomes for farmers.”

A vaccine is available for owners of domestic rabbits to protect their pets from the virus.
    Is this the same one that has mutated to start infecting the European Hare. I recall reading one that had. Hopefully it's a different strain

Hopefully it's a new strain, yep one mutated in the Lab.
    Sooner or later some of this shit will species jump, then watch things go south...... some things shouldn't be messed with.

Its a different strain than the one that jumped to hares. Thats in Europe, this is a Korean strain.

According to news reports, its all a bit confusing, the European strain which jumped scecies has been released in Aussie already, possibly illegally.
    Calicivirus strain spreads across South Australia killing rabbits - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

The korean strain which was scheduled to be released legally in Aussie,as here, in 2017 has yet to be released.
    Calicivirus strain spreads across South Australia killing rabbits - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

Im told the K5 korean version has yet to cross the final sign off here. Thing is if it doesnt come in legally, someone will bring it in anyway.....

I see the Otago Regional Council have now approved funding for the K5 release ....looks like the shit is one step closer.