Hi guys new to the forum.
Been soaking up as much information as I can through the search for possums. I'm looking to start doing it 'hard out' as I cant get a job. I realise I might not get great results to begin with but I'm hoping by the time Winter comes, trail 'n' error and some great advice from my new friends (you guys) will eventually pay off.
I'll set the scene here: I stay on a decent piece of land in a valley (350acres). I'd say 250 acres of it is thick bush. As far as I'm aware nobody has hunted possums on it in the past 15 years. I am willing to work every day of the week if I need to. But will comfortably do 6 day weeks consistently because quite frankly, I'm bored as hell.
I've done a fair bit of research on the web and most of my questions have been answered however I still have a few more if anyone would be willing to help a brother out. Don't feel you have to answer all my q's any help is greatly appreciated!
1. I understand it's hard to tell because it will always vary but in general, is the land I have big enough to sustain me till the end of winter. Taking into account the fact that the land has been untouched in a long time. I'm looking to eventually have 100 traps going at once. (Would it ever be worth getting more or am I getting carried away here?)
2. What kind of quota should I be aiming for here or realistically expecting to catch? 100 possums a week? More? Less?
3. Should I be plucking or taking the skin when using as many as 100 traps? What would I be getting for a skin and is it worth the extra time/effort?
4. I have heard that some buyers don't like the belly fur or the tail fur in the same bag as your good fur. I have spoke to people that do it recreationally and they normally seem to chuck it all in one bag and get away with it.
5. Do I need to declare my earnings and will I be taxed?
6. Is it worth keeping as much fur as I can until the price's of fur are at its peak for the season? Are the buyers generally ok with that?
7. If the condition is good am I quite safe to be buying second hand ground traps?
8. Are there any tree species that possums seem to favour over others?
I'll leave it at that just now don't want to be too much of a pain in the ass with all the q's!! But honestly, any advice/criticism if you have the time, will be super appreciated.
Going out on Wednesday for the night with a spot light to get a feel for the place and to find places where there may be higher concentrations of possums. Will probably do this a few times, in the daytime as well. Will keep this thread updated with my results for anyone else looking to get into it.