Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: possum trapping

Banned
    [QUOTE=6MMBR;102294]How much can be made a month if you get 100 traps and a premo spot ?And bowl a few with a 22 as well[/
    You would have to skin to make it worthwhile and be able to.consistanly pull the same numbers at 15 bucks a skin grade two lge skin
    It would be up to the indavidual.you need boards traps and bait and your food and a place to work that doc and private contractors arnt
    If you said medium skins 10 to 12 bucks +expensis , you worked on location you could av 2 k a month
    That's not working the nitty gritty out.

2 grand a month ante worth it at all.
    24k a year , you can make that at Mc Donald's
    Last edited by 6MMBR; 09-04-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Would as Neckshot saying depend on area ,trapping is the hard way to do it.I used poison ,was pulling 100-120 skins off a 1.5 -2 hr line .
    Summer skins I was averaging $10 ,winter skins a little more around $14 average. I was selling threw the Dunedin auction & getting reasonable money for a side line but doubt if I could of made that sort of money full time. Last time I sent skins down it cost me money,got less for the skins than the freight cost. But it had been taken over buy new management though.
    Gun control means using both hands

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 6MMBR View Post
    2 grand a month ante worth it at all.
    24k a year , you can make that at Mc Donald's
    That's being very conservitive and up to the trapper with a hundred traps and knollege it would be.more

You would think if there such a pest you would command a higher wage given the extremes of the job.
    My good mate dose it full time.
    I gone with him in the past and enjoyed it,
    I could not imagine somebody that dose not want to work an collects cash off taxpayers for nothing stepping out there and doing it.
    Living under a tarp in the urawearas in winter.
    Having wash wash time in a river that's 2 deg's
    Having a argument with yourself over farting in a hut, LOL
    Actually it's a dream job,
    But pulling a Green horn out of south Auckland to go do this ?
    How would they cope with pulling the joey out of mum that they just smacked on the head then having to destroy that as well,
    All the play station or x box games in the world ante gunna prepare them for it....

Banned
    well what are you gonna do about it?? if they have a crack at it and fail how dose it affect you? or me? if they have a crack and one succeds weill just peg them on something else!!.were already paying tax for all sorts of oxygen theifs in this country so you can waste time pissing and moaning about it or give advice its free and more productive! if its not taken your not going to lose a limb over it are ya...........better than just blowwing wind out ya own ass i reckon.IMO
    Gapped axe likes this.

Oh we'll one tip from me to all the new bees,
    If one try's to climb up you lay down.

well im unemployed so i cant really afford traps hence the reason im going through winz to get them to help pay for the traps

thanks to the informative ones sorry bout bad grammer

Quote Originally Posted by nwatene View Post
    well im unemployed so i cant really afford traps hence the reason im going through winz to get them to help pay for the traps
    And kudos to you so long as you work you're arse off it should be OK. Beats laying around doing nothing and we are probably all aware of the employment situations at present in smaller towns.
    Decide to do it then do it hard out or dont start. Go in Eyes open its not a walk in the park or a free ride thats for sure just honest damn hard work that will will help you and your family ...
    Gapped axe likes this.

Nor West of Auckland on the true right of the Kaipara River
    Quote Originally Posted by nwatene View Post
    Good on you
    It takes 43 muscle's to frown and 17 to smile, but only 3 for proper trigger pull.
    What more do we need? If we are above ground and breathing the rest is up to us!
    Rule 1: Treat every firearm as loaded
    Rule 2: Always point firearms in a safe direction
    Rule 3: Load a firearm only when ready to fire
    Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt
    Rule 5: Check your firing zone
    Rule 6: Store firearms and ammunition safely
    Rule 7: Avoid alcohol and drugs when handling firearms

thanks i got a fair idea from doing it when i was in the forestry for a bit on the side but not good on the business side as to say how much il need a year to
    spend on supplies bait bullets and what not and is it worth to also get control substance licence

Banned
    good luck mate cheap bait to start is flour sugr and either anniseed or rose oil you could get a hundy traps if you shop around for under $150 easy thats new traps.if you havnt already got that info.
    Happy likes this.

do you run ya traps in heavy rain ?

One trick that you can legitimately pull is to register for GST and change your reporting date - if you register for a monthly return then buy a lot of trap gear then the IRD give you money back on the GST you've spent. Next, presuming you qualify, change your GST period from monthly to 6 monthly and you get a reprieve from paying them back for 6 months

You've still gotta pay in the end but it can be a starter help - check it out first to see if it'll work for you.

Love seeing someone deal to possums, good luck