Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gerbs

Thread: Range finder advice four an hmr

Range finder advice four an hmr

I'd like to know what would be a suitable range finder for me. I only need to range out to 300 at absolute limit as it's for the hmr. I'd like to spend up to $300, what do you recommend?

Sent from my workbench
    If i could have a full time job shooting pests i'm up for over time.

Brand new?
    Nikko Stirling laser rangefinder - pick them up for $249-ish from most sports shops.
    Otherwise, I seem to see a lot of Leupold DNA 1000's on here for about $300
    Maca49 likes this.

Alan Newham had some reasonable rangefinders for cheap i got one a few years ago until i updated.

New Simmons LRF600 Laser Rangefinder 4X Black Whitetail 045618801397 | eBay
    @$190 shipped to NZ, 4x

Visionking 6x25 Laser Ranger Finde Angle Height Monocular Measurement New | eBay
    $220 shipped to NZ 6x

I picked up a 6x one (different brand) about 5 years off EBay, been dropped and dragged around ever since and still doesn't miss a beat and the rabbits hate it.

I got one of these: 10x25 Monocular hunting Laser distance meter Golf rangefinder measurement Range finder medidor de distancia a laser luneta-in Laser Rangefinders from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Seems to be pretty accurate and the furtherest I have ranged is about 700m. The only annoying thing is that you need to take the battery out when it's in a pack otherwise the buttons keep getting pressed and it drains the battery.

Ejected
    Quote Originally Posted by MDub View Post
    I got one of these: 10x25 Monocular hunting Laser distance meter Golf rangefinder measurement Range finder medidor de distancia a laser luneta-in Laser Rangefinders from Industry & Business on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group

Seems to be pretty accurate and the furtherest I have ranged is about 700m. The only annoying thing is that you need to take the battery out when it's in a pack otherwise the buttons keep getting pressed and it drains the battery.
    Thanks for posting that as I am after a cheap rangefinder. Do you think this is an actual Bushnell product or a counterfit? Is the 700m range on a animal or something more reflective? Also does it offer any features like true ballistic range or rain mode?

It def won't be a genuine product

I bought a refurbished Bushnell 1300 G-force range finder, was under the $400 NZ required to avoid GST.
    Works extremely well, definitely suitable for 17hmr ranges, and will happily do 800 yards reliably on tress or points in a paddock.

Try get the most reputable brand you can afford and considered buying second hand.
    Cheap electronics don't last and certainly don't work reliably.