Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Delta Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: $11.50 for a block

$11.50 for a block

Just got my unsuccessful request for a hunting block on the blue mountains this morning complete with a nice go fuck yourself letter telling me that in the future it will cost me $11.50 plus a 70 cent stamp to apply and most likely not get a block on the Blue Mountains each month.

My question is how can it cost $11.50 per application per hunter per month to run a ballot?

If there are 100 permit applications per month (I know there are well more than that) that nets them $1150 and seems a bit steep to me, I wonder who the ass wipe consultant was that thought this marvellous plan up?

All I can see happening now is an increase on the already bad poaching problem on the Blue Mountains.

As soon as I work out how to change a PDF to a file I can up load to here (as I can't seem to upload a PDF) i'll post the letter.

ebf
    open the pdf in a graphix package and save it as a jpeg
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

for some reason it doesn't want to work, just running it through an online conversion programme now

It's been a long time coming. For well over a year now Doc having been talking about it. Apparently its to cover admin costs etc.

Might stop people from just applying constantly and not using their permits. That happens alot.

Not saying its right though.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

It's bull shit, I apply for a block every month and get maybe 1 in 3 that I apply for.

They are meant to be a government department paid for by tax payers. part of their mandate is to provide management of recreational areas under their control and they get funding to achieve that purpose.

letter attached below

Name:  Doc 1.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  169.8 KB

Name:  Doc 2.jpg
Views: 843
Size:  166.4 KB

Name:  Doc 3.jpg
Views: 848
Size:  98.3 KB

R93
    It is $20 to apply for a Haast ballot or Thar block because admin costs. Then $50ish if you are successful.
    Maybe to stop multiple applications for the best bits?
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

I wouldn't have too much of a problem if it was a once a year fee, but this is each month if you want to apply for a permit, not just for the roar period, as the blocks are balloted every month on the Blue Mountains.
    russ_11 likes this.

Yeah I'm gutted too. Takes away a huge amount of freedom. Also there is abosolutly no incentive on DoC's behalf to stream line things, they can just charge what they want. Apparently it costs them $40k a year to run which is divided by about 4000 applications...

Anyway I'm gutted, I will hunt down there less now because of it, and I will be more inclined to shoot what I see to get more bang for my buck....

I can't see how it can cost 40000 a year to manage the blocks, besides they get paid to manage the land, in my opinion it's just the start of a downwards spiral, it will be like England soon where only the super rich can afford to hunt.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk 4
    falconhell and Hunt4life like this.

Quote Originally Posted by lostlegend View Post
    I can't see how it can cost 40000 a year to manage the blocks, besides they get paid to manage the land, in my opinion it's just the start of a downwards spiral, it will be like England soon where only the super rich can afford to hunt.

I've been waiting for a post like this to come up. As I said in the thread regarding Snapper fishing on the east coast of North island, it's only a matter of time before the school if thought that anybody and everybody who wants to harvest anything from the land or ocean should pay, takes off. I don't have a problem with paying a ballot application fee to hunt specific areas, but I do think its unjustifiable for DoC to charge for this. DoC has a budget and a mandate to manage all recreation and pest control on Crown conservation land. Maybe DoC need a few less managers on six-figure salaries and a few more field officers on the ground to do what DoC should actually be doing, and doing cheaper than they're currently doing it? The Woodhill Fallow heard is managed by a dedicated animal management committee and part of their mandate involves fencing. Obviously this expensive undertaking requires funding and $30 is probably too little for the privilege. Thanks for posting this lostlegend as stuff like this often just happens on a local level and the rest of us are in the dark. We all need to push for private committee management of our wild animal herds in NZ, or I fear you're right, and hunting will become a rich man's sport, eventually collapsing as populations will explode then implode

Quote Originally Posted by lostlegend View Post

The figures DoC gave were dominated by about $30k for admin, I.E. putting applications into the ballot system. Hence the statement about online applications...
    I understand that they need to cover costs now days under this goverment but it just guts me as this is my bread and butter hunting.

Gutted also in regards to this. It is the close to Dunedin and offers some terrific hunting.

I am like wildman and it may mean I hunt it a bit less often, if there is any upside it may prevent multiple ballot applications for Blocks, especially over the rut. Lots of pressure for blocks. Often we go down and dont see any other vehicles at parking spots for the blocks so people book blocks and then dont use them. Maybe the fee will encourage people that have not used their block to make it available for others who can actually use it.

I am also very sceptical in regards to the costs that DOC charge, I honestly cant see the admin cost for this being anywhere near 40k, that is quiet a few hours of work. QAnd to say 40k a year to manage an online booking system...mental!

GUTTED

Dino
    lostlegend likes this.
    "If God wanted us to be vegetarian....why did he make meat taste so good?"

Really, you would hunt less because it costs you $11.50? or 34.50 if you got one out of 3 months you applied for? If you applied every month that's 146.50 including postage for a year. Say you get 3 maybe 4 months based on whats said, if you make the most of your your time that's sweet F/A additional cost per trip. I'd bet recent increases in fuel costs would be a bigger burden than that. Doing shit costs money, that's life. Is it really worth saying one would put morals aside and not be selective on whats shot based on a few dollars?
    Savage1 likes this.

Its not the point. Its the thin end of the wedge. How long before all public land is pay per hunt. Or to take it further pay per access.

Our forfathers liberated animals for all to create a place where all could hunt freely as of right.
    Lets not forget that.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Dino, Neckshot, Toby and 1 others like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

sad news :-(

I hunt down there a fair bit and to be honest the system is a pain in the ass with gate combos, permit returns and now having to pay.

I only hunt during the week and often at short notice for a morning or afternoon. Not sure i'll be doing that for $11.50.

I wonder if we will be able to do short notice bookings during the week still (ie can they process credit cards over the phone) As often i'd ring at 4:30 to see what was available for the following day.

Wouldn't be surprised if we see and even greater increase in poaching now.