Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree18Likes

Thread: 1080/How long after the drop till its worthwhile hunting?

In truth 1080'd critters rot much slower than un-poisoned dead animals thats my first hand experience.
    Any deer that can walk 10 kms after eating 1080 ain't got any 1080 in it after 10 kms, they drop very quickly from 1080 or not at all.
    I lived in a piece of Westland for 14 days, 1 month after a 1080 drop. I was looking for dead deer I shot and ate Chamois from that catchment and drank from the streams.
    I shot and ate venison off private land that had been 1080'd for rabbits in Otago only 24 days previously.
    I helped located dead deer in the Dart and a few other places after 1080 drops. I was required to count dead mice and count any intact baits.
    I moved through that country with guys who drank from the streams (after over 100mm of rain fall)
    I wanted to know more about 1080 so I accessed Massey Universities toxicology information on all poisons including 1080 applied in NZ.

I am sick and tired of hearing all the bullshit anti-1080 crap. My personal experience and knowledge is that any deer that is not killed by 1080 is perfectly healthy and has no residual 1080 in its system after 72 hours. Don't eat the dead ones on the ground.

By all means follow the poisons schedule it is after all a poison and doesn't care what it kills but all these people warning of residual poisoning is residual bullshit
    Obey the posted signs and warnings, its never a waste of time to carry your rifle in the hills.
    Last edited by Speargrass; 21-11-2015 at 11:49 PM.
    deer243 likes this.

Digging up a bit of an old thread. But genuine questions here.

So the Tongariro area I hunted with my father inlaw and old family friend was very quiet over the roar from what the the old timer said. ie. Bird life. He blamed 1080, But that's a debate for another time.
    We were looking at doing another weekend in there mid spring, for some reason i thought i might check 1080 drops. Turns out there's going to be a big ground baiting and aerial drop over the whole 22.5k Ha block, application date from 30/8/2017 - 30/6/2018 according to DOC.

That seems like a very long time to be effectively closing a block for poison drops.
    What is the best practice when hunting around these drops? Dont even bother? Safe to take the animal if its alive?