Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: 12g slugs ??

Question 12g slugs ??

Hi there
    New to this forum and finding heaps of handy tips and knowledgeable people so thanks guys. Firstly Does anyone here hunt deer, pigs , goats with a shotgun. I have a Remington 11-87 12g which I brought for duck shooting and due to Wintec fees don't quit have sufficient spare money to buy a riffle. I'm looking at hunting mainly deer in the kaimai ranges with solid slugs. I know they use slugs quite a lot in the states but cant find anyone in NZ. Whats the best way to go about this and am I even allowed hunting with slugs or is it not ethical. Also what slugs to use and where's the best place to get them.
    Cheers guys Possummatti

From the DOC website.

Permits do not confer the right to take vehicles or dogs onto public conservation land, unless otherwise stated in the special conditions of that permit.
    Only centre fire rifles of calibre .222 Remington or larger may be used for hunting, or crossbows and bows that meet the minimum standard specified by DOC. Shotguns, rimfire rifles, and .22 hornet are excluded.

Check their website out, its quite good.
    Mal
    possummatti likes this.

Aren't shotties illegal on public land?

Toby here has done a post on 12G with 9mm mag inserts and i've tried one too but they seem to me to be as accurate as a solid slug (ie short range)

If you can legally hunt the area, perhaps try the accuracy of some rifled slugs?

If you only have slug ammo on your person them it is no longer a shot gun surely.

Sent from my GT-S5360T using Tapatalk 2
    Spook, Munsey and blake like this.
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

There are still large tracts of land in the Kaimai's that is not under DoC control that contain reasonable numbers of deer.
    Which is worse, ignorance or apathy...I don't know and don't care.

Some have been down this path before - apparently some DoC staff have no problems with a shotgun so long as you are only carrying slugs, check with your local DoC office if you intend on going on Public Conservation Land. And if you have a rifled barrel on the shotgun, then its a moot point anyway. If it was me I'd go for it, a 12g slug such as a Brenneke through a smoothbore, or a saboted slug through a rifled barrel are deadly. Good friend of mine did a testfire with a Remington with a fully rifled barrel and scoped and was able to consistently shoot a 3", 5 shot group at 100, and was happy taking a shot on game out to 150.
    possummatti likes this.

The chances of seeing a DoC ranger in the Kaimai's would be fairly remote. In the 22 years I have been associated with the block I am on, which has DoC for a neighbour, the only times I have seen DoC activity is when they fly by chopper to renovate a hut and I did see one on a quad once and that was only because someone had driven off a bluff and he had gone to check it out.

Yea VC i was thinking the same thing. surely there even safer than a riffle due to the short distance a slug will travel.

Ive used solids on a lot of goats, few pigs and a couple of home kill cattle. They are a very effective peice of equipment within 100m and reasonably cheap. I like 3 inch federals, in saying that they are pretty hard on the shoulder though.

I recently got a permit to use my 12g on doc land it was easy as just a ph call to the doc office and it arrived in the mail a week later. Buck shot is another good option for larger game, I'd rate it over solids inside 40m.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Some have been down this path before - apparently some DoC staff have no problems with a shotgun so long as you are only carrying slugs, check with your local DoC office if you intend on going on Public Conservation Land. And if you have a rifled barrel on the shotgun, then its a moot point anyway. If it was me I'd go for it, a 12g slug such as a Brenneke through a smoothbore, or a saboted slug through a rifled barrel are deadly. Good friend of mine did a testfire with a Remington with a fully rifled barrel and scoped and was able to consistently shoot a 3", 5 shot group at 100, and was happy taking a shot on game out to 150.
    Thanks for the answer husky.
    where abouts would i get my hands on a riffled barrel. from the ones ive seen it might be cheaper to buy a second hand .308. i understand that you can shoot riffled slugs through a smooth bore too ?. Cheers

PM'd ya about a Paradox
    possummatti likes this.

Watch TM or the buy/sell section on the forum, they come up occasionally. In the meantime just use your smoothbore barrel, modified choke or less, and use one of the solid rifled slugs that you can buy off the shelf. It will probably surprise you how accurate they are, but they are not as "long" range as the saboted slugs. Also, it does help to use a sight such as a red dot or low power scope. As a trial use bluetack or similar to fashion a makeshift rear sight to work with your front bead and try a box, usually only 5 in a box. I used my shotgun with a standard rib and bead and was plenty happy enough out to 70 metres. As bigfoot said, buckshot inside 40 metres is devastating, but limited to those 40 metres.

Quote Originally Posted by Husky1600 View Post
    Watch TM or the buy/sell section on the forum, they come up occasionally. In the meantime just use your smoothbore barrel, modified choke or less, and use one of the solid rifled slugs that you can buy off the shelf. It will probably surprise you how accurate they are, but they are not as "long" range as the saboted slugs. Also, it does help to use a sight such as a red dot or low power scope. As a trial use bluetack or similar to fashion a makeshift rear sight to work with your front bead and try a box, usually only 5 in a box. I used my shotgun with a standard rib and bead and was plenty happy enough out to 70 metres. As bigfoot said, buckshot inside 40 metres is devastating, but limited to those 40 metres.
    Cheers
    Was thinking about putting a scope on it but would mean i would have to take it off and then re sight it when i go bird or rabbit shooting. never thought about the bluetack thats quite a good idea. i think once i get into the gist of hunting i will just have to suck it up and splash out on a r riffle .

Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    Cheers
    Was thinking about putting a scope on it but would mean i would have to take it off and then re sight it when i go bird or rabbit shooting. never thought about the bluetack thats quite a good idea. i think once i get into the gist of hunting i will just have to suck it up and splash out on a r riffle .
    Belive me mate, it wont just be ONE rifle either!!!!!!!
    stingray and possummatti like this.
    While I might not be as good as I once was, Im as good once as I ever was!

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

Quote Originally Posted by possummatti View Post
    Cheers
    If you use a pro point or similar scope you can leave it on your shotty...no magnification, both eyes open, dot super-imposed on target...super fast shooting...I have one on a winnie pump.
    possummatti likes this.