Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

ZeroPak DPT

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree189Likes

Thread: 2 STAGS IN ONE WEEK

MSL
    Result of a bit of chin music
    Gibo likes this.

Top Member Remington 5R .300 Win Mag's Avatar
    Obviously A Different Planet To The One You Bastards Are On!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boaraxa View Post
    People live & learn , gezz the things I used to do before I new better shocking , I like to see the posts and read different experiences people have & how they go about things he could have said he got it first shot but didn't so at least he,s being honest, if I was going to be critical of 7mm rm it would be that once you spend a bit of time on here reading posts & getting a feel for the people on here & what they do the advice can be really worth listening to .
    That's pretty much my take on it. The guy's a newbie, shooting deer when you first start out means everything, and shooting at longer ranges is probably an achievement too, well done 7mm rm!

Having said that, verification of bullet trajectory is 'essential' for longer range shooting. To do this, you're first gonna need a tall piece of cardboard, and if you're zeroed at 200 yards/meters, set your target up at 400. Have your target placed near the top of your cardboard and fire (obviously considering your firing zone). Now don't just fire one round and say 'good, I know where it goes', fire 3 - 5 because you're wanting to try an gauge your group size as well. Greg Duley touched on the 6" hillier zone, which is a vital kill zone in the chest area, so, provided your rifle is a capable killer at whatever range you're hoping to shoot out at, then you're trying to find the 'maximum' range you can confidently shoot, keeping your group size at around the 6" mark, preferably less.

Now, take a measurement from the center of the bulls eye, where you aimed, to the center of your group as that gives the bullet drop (trajectory) in inches/cm. If you've got a holdover type scope, with various elevation marks, take a note of the middle of your group size and correspond it to the marks in your scope, and write that mark on your stock for easy reference (example 400 = 1 & 1/2 lines down). Do this at every 100 y/m intervals (remembering that the closest you choose to do this, the more accurate a data you're going to collect) until your group size gets bigger than the magic 6" mark! If you shoot 6" at 700 y/m but at 800 you're shooting 7 or 8" then 700 y/m is your maximum, it could be that your group size opens up more than 6" at 500 y/m, in which case 500, or maybe 450 is your maximum range.

Now, 'if' at say 500 y/m you're shooting a 2' group, then there's something drastically wrong with either you or your setup, and desperately needs to be sorted.

Do this and you should have the 'ethical right' to shoot at anything out to that particular range, and if we're all being honest, a certain amount of "collateral damage" is always to be expected with all forms of hunting, after all, how many rabbits have we shot that have manged to escape wounded down the hole, dragging their rear diff and screaming as they go, 'never, to be seen again?... That's just my sixpence, oh, and of course, windage is a different story!
    Huk, Blisters and 7mm Rem Mag like this.
    "Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten"!

Quote Originally Posted by 7mm Rem Mag View Post
    The alternative for these animals is to suffer a fate worse than death due to the fact the doc block is about to be hit with 1080 poison so just about any death is better than suffering that, hence why I have been out recently to get some meat in the freezer. I do have great respect for the animals I shoot and nothing is wasted whether its rabbit and wallaby for the cat or deer for our table. maybe I can't stand your attitude, do I detect a bit of green eyed monster there fella (a bit jealous of some one taking a good shot perhaps?)
    Don't confuse a lucky shot with a good shot chap.
    Na not jealous at all , I shoot more then enough to keep my freezer full , even only use the 1 shot as well.....quick and clean.
    Biggun708 and DLW like this.

In the video the wind was blowing quite hard! IMO to much for that range!
    Even his humane shot went through the stags noise!

Yes everyone makes mistakes!

Just goes to so we all learn!
    1 don't take long range shots in high wind.
    2 only take long range shots if you have plenty of range time at doing this. It's a skill that needs to be learnt and it's a perishable skill at that, which means you stop practice the skill diminishes.
    3 use a could bullet with high BC that you know is going to make a big wound thus bring a swift humane death! This is an ethical thing to do.
    Just hope he dragged the gut and offal out of the stream bed.
    Nice to see that he took out the meat though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post

2 only take long range shots if you have plenty of range time at doing this. It's a skill that needs to be learnt and it's a perishable skill at that, which means you stop practice the skill diminishes.
    3 use a could bullet with high BC that you know is going to make a big wound thus bring a swift humane death! This is an ethical thing to do.
    4) check for typos
    HNTMAD and Huk like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sideshow View Post

I may disagree sum what with point 3. If ballistics are known at range as in energy etc and you are a gd shooter you could lob a rock in. High BC is good but don't get hung up in it

Just my 10c

Sent from my F8331 using Tapatalk
    260hunter likes this.
    Hamish
    027 5422 985
    www.hgd.co.nz

I only added point .3 cause I read it somewhere and it sounded cool
    Sure not hung up on it. But I definitely chose a premium hunting bullet that I know is going to do the job!
    Huk and Biggun708 like this.

Gripping shit. Ahwell couple lessons learnt
    Blaser, Gibo and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Banned
    I thought it was a good story and at least he didn't wound it he got it and had a good time with his son.Its quite amazing how many ethical hunters there are here who have never ever done the same thing.
    sometimes and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Desert rd View Post
    I thought it was a good story and at least he didn't wound it he got it and had a good time with his son.Its quite amazing how many ethical hunters there are here who have never ever done the same thing.
    Well said, I fully agree
    Boaraxa and 7mm Rem Mag like this.

Just eating some of the venison tonight for tea Yummy!
    260hunter and Boaraxa like this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Remington 5R .300 Win Mag View Post
    That's pretty much my take on it. The guy's a newbie, shooting deer when you first start out means everything, and shooting at longer ranges is probably an achievement too, well done 7mm rm!

Having said that, verification of bullet trajectory is 'essential' for longer range shooting. To do this, you're first gonna need a tall piece of cardboard, and if you're zeroed at 200 yards/meters, set your target up at 400. Have your target placed near the top of your cardboard and fire (obviously considering your firing zone). Now don't just fire one round and say 'good, I know where it goes', fire 3 - 5 because you're wanting to try an gauge your group size as well. Greg Duley touched on the 6" hillier zone, which is a vital kill zone in the chest area, so, provided your rifle is a capable killer at whatever range you're hoping to shoot out at, then you're trying to find the 'maximum' range you can confidently shoot, keeping your group size at around the 6" mark, preferably less.

Now, take a measurement from the center of the bulls eye, where you aimed, to the center of your group as that gives the bullet drop (trajectory) in inches/cm. If you've got a holdover type scope, with various elevation marks, take a note of the middle of your group size and correspond it to the marks in your scope, and write that mark on your stock for easy reference (example 400 = 1 & 1/2 lines down). Do this at every 100 y/m intervals (remembering that the closest you choose to do this, the more accurate a data you're going to collect) until your group size gets bigger than the magic 6" mark! If you shoot 6" at 700 y/m but at 800 you're shooting 7 or 8" then 700 y/m is your maximum, it could be that your group size opens up more than 6" at 500 y/m, in which case 500, or maybe 450 is your maximum range.

Now, 'if' at say 500 y/m you're shooting a 2' group, then there's something drastically wrong with either you or your setup, and desperately needs to be sorted.

Do this and you should have the 'ethical right' to shoot at anything out to that particular range, and if we're all being honest, a certain amount of "collateral damage" is always to be expected with all forms of hunting, after all, how many rabbits have we shot that have manged to escape wounded down the hole, dragging their rear diff and screaming as they go, 'never, to be seen again?... That's just my sixpence, oh, and of course, windage is a different story!
    Thanks for that!! You explained it well and simply, I learnt something cheers
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.

Walking my rifle
    7mm, im happy for you to PM me if you want me to teach you a bit about ballistics, Long range shootin etc and help you get your setup sorted properly, properly set up you should be able to kill smaller deer out to 1000 yards and bigger stags etc out to about 700 with your rifle.
    HUNTY and 7mm Rem Mag like this.
    If you can't kill it with bullets, dont f*ck with it.

Quote Originally Posted by NewbieZAR View Post
    7mm, im happy for you to PM me if you want me to teach you a bit about ballistics, Long range shootin etc and help you get your setup sorted properly, properly set up you should be able to kill smaller deer out to 1000 yards and bigger stags etc out to about 700 with your rifle.
    Ok cheers thanks for that I will
    HUNTY likes this.
    When hunting think safety first

Quote Originally Posted by Blisters View Post
    Thanks for that!! You explained it well and simply, I learnt something cheers
    Thanks.
    7mm Rem Mag likes this.