Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Alpine

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree26Likes

Thread: .22 zero

northdude
    It's not the right one

Left eye shot doesn't always kill instantly and the bastards take off on ya. Right eye they fall outa the tree dead.

I think Driverman's method is the the point blank range method. Google it and have read. Basically it gives you a range in which the bullets trajectory/drop is within the kill zone of the target animal. For a rabbit within the point blank range aim at the vitals and the path of the bullet will only diverge from the line of site by 0.5" and your rabbit is dead. It does obviously depend on ammo, rifle and height of scope so needs to be tested at the range.

When I bought the Waltz tool, I did a lot of 'water barrel' testing of different ammo (ie shooting into the top of a 200L open top drum full of water) to verify the performance of different hollow point designs (depth of HP and how open they were at the top). What I found was that there were brands of ammo the performed (expanded) well, but there were others that did little more than flatten the tip a bit.
    I tested CCI SV with progressively deeper and wider HP openings, finally settling on a good compromise.

The Waltz tool gives you the best of all worlds in my opinion. CCI SV is a very good ammo accuracy wise, and well priced compared to others, but they don't make it in HP. With the tool you can then HP your own, to your own liking, with the projectile in the case, so your centralisation of the HP is accurately done. Takes me about an hour to HP 500 rounds, with a dye clean after every 100 rounds to clear the excess wax out of the head of the dye.
    mudgripz likes this.

I use the same technique as driverman. It works.

I haven't fired as many shots as him but personally think that .22 use sharpens your hunting skills significantly.

One year I fired over 10,000 shots at animals as a recreational hunter. Mostly off the shoulder, to say that my centre fire shooting ability increased as a result of that would be a massive understatement; using a rifle just became automatic...

Like so many of you, I really rate rabit shooting as a precursor to deer hunting.

I now exclusively use CCI subs.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

i zero at 50yds . . . if im shooting a rabbit at 90yds i dial up for a 90yrd zero or use a mildot if i am in a hurry . . . holding over with a guess is so old school

R.
    without a picture . .. it never happened !

When I was on pest board we sighted 10/22s zero at 20m when you started to get out over 50m we just aimed just over the top, once you get to know your riffle you know were to aim the more you have to shoot the easier it is.

Quote Originally Posted by rossi.45 View Post
    i zero at 50yds . . . if im shooting a rabbit at 90yds i dial up for a 90yrd zero or use a mildot if i am in a hurry . . . holding over with a guess is so old school

R.
    I am old school and the holdover becomes ingrained. Instant target acquisition and experience tells you where to aim. Don't have time to fiddle with things
    gadgetman and northdude like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Driverman View Post
    Left eye shot doesn't always kill instantly and the bastards take off on ya. Right eye they fall outa the tree dead.
    My right or the possum's right? Assuming the possum is looking at me.

Gone but not forgotten Gapped axe's Avatar
    rifle might be shooting to the left
    gadgetman likes this.
    "ars longa, vita brevis"

Looking at the possum with its eyes lit up in the spot ,shoot the eye on the left which makes it the possum's right eye, listen for the thump as it hits the ground dead.
    I only ever head shot possums , used to shoot them out as far as the spot would light them up.
    Last edited by Driverman; 10-06-2017 at 12:01 PM.

I used to have a bit of string measuring 15 yards that I used to sight in before a shoot. Put a blank target, an old ammo packet or some such , up and put a shot into it, Use the hole as a point of aim and put a few rounds through that hole to check alignment and warm the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    One year I fired over 10,000 shots at animals as a recreational hunter. Mostly off the shoulder, to say that my centre fire shooting ability increased as a result of that would be a massive understatement; using a rifle just became automatic...
    Yes, practice, practice practice.
    My younger brother and I used to do a lot of 3-gun. The rifle stages definitely rubbed off on hunting.

One day we were walking down hill on an old farm track through some native hunting for goats. We spooked two cunning old nanny's that jumped down onto the track in front of us and fled at high speed around the corner 30m ahead. We sprinted off after them at full noise hoping to get them on the next straight away. The track was on a cutting, and as we rounded the corner, on the top side of the track, sunning them selves on the cutting no more than 5m from us were two young goats. We were running down hill and way to fast to try and stop to shoot. My brother shouldered his Mini-14 and double tapped both of them at full flight as we ran past them. Neither even got a chance to get to their feed.

We were both so astounded that when we managed to stop running, we both ended up on the ground in a heap of laughter. At the end of the day it was instinctive double tap shooting, as per all the practice we had been doing, only the targets were live (well, they were .....)

Quote Originally Posted by craigc View Post
    Yes, practice, practice practice.
    My younger brother and I used to do a lot of 3-gun. The rifle stages definitely rubbed off on hunting.

One day we were walking down hill on an old farm track through some native hunting for goats. We spooked two cunning old nanny's that jumped down onto the track in front of us and fled at high speed around the corner 30m ahead. We sprinted off after them at full noise hoping to get them on the next straight away. The track was on a cutting, and as we rounded the corner, on the top side of the track, sunning them selves on the cutting no more than 5m from us were two young goats. We were running down hill and way to fast to try and stop to shoot. My brother shouldered his Mini-14 and double tapped both of them at full flight as we ran past them. Neither even got a chance to get to their feed.

We were both so astounded that when we managed to stop running, we both ended up on the ground in a heap of laughter. At the end of the day it was instinctive double tap shooting, as per all the practice we had been doing, only the targets were live (well, they were .....)