Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Access to Army land?

Access to Army land?

There's a block of army training land near where I live that is barely ever used. Indeed it may be closed for good now. The block is being torn up by pigs and I'd love to go in and get them. But don't know who to contact to ask for access. Any suggestions?

Waiouru?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's in Otago. Near Dunedin.

Ring the local number for the army and ask them. they may not allow access due to blinds and unexploded ordnance. There are a few spots in Waiouru no one is allowed in due to the danger.

They may know who would be best to call.
    Dundee likes this.

Thank you Jim. I'll try that.

Don't bother. I tried getting access through a TINY little corner of their land (ie 100m triangle to walk through and out the other side - trying to do everything by the book) and it was a complete no go...

Are there yellow signs with the heading "DEFENCE AREA" on the fence? If so, they usually list at the bottom who the contact authority is for the area.

If not, it might be worth contacting Burnham military camp given they're the closest RF presence who might be able to provide more information. Depending on what the training area was used for, there is the possibility of unexploded ordnance.

Edit: Everyone else's beaten me to it.

Yea sucks if your not in the army, most of the time it's who you know not what you know..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If it's close enough to see the damage, maybe you can bait them out and trap and or shoot them?

Hi Ryan, just a rifle range I think. There is a big yellow sign. And going up and reading it sounds bloody obvious. I should have thought of that. Thank you mate.

It's a rifle range for the local TF and a recruit/exercise training area for the army. Was also used by the local district constabulary for arms training and annual qualification and the like but I'm going back more than a few years now.

Best starting point would be to ring the Kensington barracks and speak to the Adjutant there or get another contact from there. They'll also let you know the full area of restriction and the likes as it backs onto the silver peaks Doc land.
    Know what you mean tho mate a ton of pigs over there heading into the silver peaks always has been! Even 20 years ago!
    Scouser likes this.

Just go to this website and do a brief course (12-16 weeks) in Waiouru and you can hunt there. You'll also get a job, fitness and money too

Joining Up | Defence Careers

Quote Originally Posted by YosemiteSam View Post
    Hi Ryan, just a rifle range I think. There is a big yellow sign. And going up and reading it sounds bloody obvious. I should have thought of that. Thank you mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timmay View Post
    Don't bother. I tried getting access through a TINY little corner of their land (ie 100m triangle to walk through and out the other side - trying to do everything by the book) and it was a complete no go...
    100m !!!!! We are a defence forece so not likely to jump out and attack you when 100m from the far end of a corner.

Quote Originally Posted by 300_BLK View Post
    Just go to this website and do a brief course (12-16 weeks) in Waiouru and you can hunt there. You'll also get a job, fitness and money too

Joining Up | Defence Careers
    Only a 12 week course now. What a deal.

I know the bit of land you are talking about. It has a couple of rifle ranges at the bottom.
    On one side further up there is a no hunting block in the pines and gums. I have access to a small block beside it and a larger property on the other side. I have inquired about going on there but was told from time to time they still play war games in there and is a no go zone. I have shot a couple of small pigs close to it and seen some of the pig rooting in my block but I think you would be classed as a poacher if you got caught in there.
    You have obviously been in there if you know that it is getting ripped up by pigs?