Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: akatarawas

akatarawas

hi fellaz i have been to a few spots in the akaz recently looking for goat sign as ive heard theres a few goats in there but all ive seen is a bita pig sign and some old deer sign. would be awesome if some one could give me the heads up cheers fellaz!

As strange as it sounds there are not a lot of goats around the Hutt that you can legally hunt, most would be private land or small groups of them here and there, the Rimutaka coast line usually has a few up the side creeks/ridges etc. or try up the incline and hunt up above the tunnel at the top, shit scrub though so good luck. Are you after skins or just a bit of fun.

Used to live in Kapiti and shoot plenty of Goats and Deer in the Akatarwas. Saw pigs at times, but never shot one. Overall, more deer than goats seen and shot.

I see you are from Featherston, you have far more goats around there and good deer numbers too.

Few goats up the incline mate, just wear long pants and go for gold cutting up into the scrub. More goats on the Featherston side near that farm.

I've never shot them there as mainly been unarmed walking and always seen them on the track.

Be ware of trampers and doggies please :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

further north, dont waste your time in the akas, tararuas and rimutakas are the ones
    Feral likes this.

wow cheers guys, yeh i been up the incline a few times. i actually prefer the scrub, i like geting in close. im living in the hut now. i hunt them for meat or the heads. whats it like out karapoiti? and scoped do u mean tararuas from the akataruwa summit entrance? cheers. bloody cant wait to get out for a hunt! 2 weeks is way too long
    Dougie likes this.

if your after goats then rimutakas is the place but bugger heading up the incline theyre easier than that

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by scoped View Post
    if your after goats then rimutakas is the place but bugger heading up the incline theyre easier than that
    agreed, the only way i'd be heading into that shit is wearing chainsaw trousers
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

ebf
    Quote Originally Posted by goatcommander View Post
    scoped do u mean tararuas from the akataruwa summit entrance? cheers
    goatcommander, parking at akatarawa summit (waiotauru to renata) is not advisable. if you specifically want to hunt that area, otaki forks to waiotauru hut might be a better choice if you want to find your vehicle when you get back

marchant rd and parking at camp kaitoke is another safe option
    goatcommander likes this.
    Viva la Howa ! R.I.P. Toby | Black rifles matter... | #illegitimate_ute

I second that - Akatarawa summit is a car-dumping area of old and one of those places that for some reason attracts crims

thanks for the heads up . mind you itd be great to catch a crim in the act. actually wouldnt mind hiding near the car park for a whole day, then giving the little basterd a good old fashioned scare. crocodile dundee style. had my wagon done over a couple of times now. its really disheartening
    Dundee and Feral like this.

There should still be the odd Sika in the Southern Tararua's/Nothern Aka's too. The last one I shot in there was in 2006. A few goats in that area too, but very hard going and very limited scope for finding animals. The 1080 drop in the Akatarawa in about 2008(maybe 2007) hit the deer pretty hard, but I imagine that they have came back now. Don't think I would waste my time in the Karapoti Road end, what would suggest the valley to the north east of Titi (613) for a deer on the Maungatuk side. This is the very top of the West Akatarawa River, there is a and area of open are in the valley floor (you'll get wet feet).

The incline always had plenty of goats and there are some deer around too, but hard going off the tracks.

Try in at Smiths Creek Shelter(over the Puffer Saddle) for a spring time deer on the river flats(watch for fishermen, trampers etc), or climb a third of the way up the eastern side of the valley and sidle around at that elevation. You'll hit good sign and eventually, an animal. Not sure of the goat population in there, but suspect it will be low or none.

i watched the choppers flying around up the akas for a couple of hours a few weeks ago, pretty sure they were poisoning as it is due and they had those good old bucket dispensers under them.

Quote Originally Posted by Uplandstalker View Post
    There should still be the odd Sika in the Southern Tararua's/Nothern Aka's too. The last one I shot in there was in 2006. A few goats in that area too, but very hard going and very limited scope for finding animals. The 1080 drop in the Akatarawa in about 2008(maybe 2007) hit the deer pretty hard, but I imagine that they have came back now. Don't think I would waste my time in the Karapoti Road end, what would suggest the valley to the north east of Titi (613) for a deer on the Maungatuk side. This is the very top of the West Akatarawa River, there is a and area of open are in the valley floor (you'll get wet feet).

The incline always had plenty of goats and there are some deer around too, but hard going off the tracks.

Try in at Smiths Creek Shelter(over the Puffer Saddle) for a spring time deer on the river flats(watch for fishermen, trampers etc), or climb a third of the way up the eastern side of the valley and sidle around at that elevation. You'll hit good sign and eventually, an animal. Not sure of the goat population in there, but suspect it will be low or none.
    Never seen goats in smiths creek before although I have heard there are some about, there was a helicopter buzzing the flats last week, not sure what they were doing.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

Aren't they always building up there and bringing in track maint supplies? @ebf is that the same place we saw the chopper bringing in bags of builders mix?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt