Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Alpine Darkness

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree42Likes

Thread: American Hunter Needing Advice

Quote Originally Posted by wyohunter View Post
    Thanks akaroa. From looking at pictures on different threads on the forum, the country over there does look pretty rough and unforgiving.
    Now that's almost an understatement- perfect for a TUI ad.....Means you will probably fit right in....
    mikee likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by wyohunter View Post
    Thanks akaroa. From looking at pictures on different threads on the forum, the country over there does look pretty rough and unforgiving.
    As long as you are fit and well prepared and use commonsense then you should be OK but even though we have nothing that crawls, slithers or bites the environment here is pretty good at taking lives experienced and otherwise.
    I would love to have a hunt on my own another country but am consciously aware local experience counts a lot.
    All those with dogs waiting no longer fear death. Those with many dogs waiting even welcome it in it's time.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Like I said I still have about 2-3 years to plan everything out. I'm going to keep looking at DOC maps and doing my research. As of right now my physical capabilities are pretty good. I run 3 miles about every day and do a lot of backpacking up Colorado's mountains. The hard thing will be to stay in good shape for the next 3 years.
    stingray likes this.

You'll be fine mate. Get fit, bring good gear, set realistic goals and just be happy to experience our wilderness. That's what hunting's all about. Thousands come to NZ to walk our great walks, and while hunting is off the beaten track so to speak, many of those tracks are in some pretty rugged country and many come woefully unprepared. The vast majority survive ok!. You'll be more prepared than 90% of them! Get involved on here and no doubt you'll get a chance to meet a member or two and possibly tag along for a hunt. I'm happy to take you out, if it fits in with my calendar.
    ANTSMAN, Brian, stingray and 2 others like this.
    I'm drawn to the mountains and the bush, it's where life is clear, where the world makes the most sense.

An old thread but...I have moved over here for a couple of years (nearly at an end ) mainly for the hunting and spend most of my spare time doing it. Daunting at first but as above, doing plenty of research, having decent gear and fitness makes all the difference. NZ is an amazing country to explore both hunting and non-hunting. I hunted the area you first mentioned earlier this year and would be happy to help out where possible with your planning process - pm sent

Quote Originally Posted by Al3x View Post
    An old thread but...I have moved over here for a couple of years (nearly at an end ) mainly for the hunting and spend most of my spare time doing it. Daunting at first but as above, doing plenty of research, having decent gear and fitness makes all the difference. NZ is an amazing country to explore both hunting and non-hunting. I hunted the area you first mentioned earlier this year and would be happy to help out where possible with your planning process - pm sent
    Try mount Thomas or if you have any experience with mountaineering then Arthur's pass.

Sent from my TA-1024 using Tapatalk

guys ,ref thar&chamios -i happened across the new book ofZef Veronese the other day. Zef an italian kiwi is a real man ofthe mountains ,is a nth canty NZDA member luvly bloke to talk to generous to a "t'with his time and advice.his tales are extraordinary -not only his gear for his mountain jaunts but the contry hunted and the trophies taken!
    the pack size he carries would give a pack horse a bloody hernia!
    well worth a looksee,though im aware a few of you locals will be familiar with him. you may be able to source it stateside wyoming -bloody good read and bloody good insight into the country as this guy is also an expert landscape /wildlife cameraman.
    BTW-welcome to the land of the long white cloud.fancy an earthquake or two ,three ,four whilst youre here -just saying!

second Kotuku, My wife brought that book for me earlier this year.