Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

DPT Delta

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Anyone used a Puukko style knife for boning our meat?

I just use one of these for breaking an animal down and boning it out. Have done a few deer, massive pig, pigeons, hares, rabbits, .... Just drag the blade over unglazed bit of crockery to sharpen it. Guessing I'm not a knife junkie.

https://www.southernhospitality.co.n...ing-knife.html
    Paddy79 likes this.
    There are only three types of people in this world. Those that can count, and those that can't!

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    So how would you rate it Tahr in comparison to the other BRKs for boning? Scandi grind compared to convex?

Banned
    I have a couple of Moras...pretty good blade for cheap knives

Quote Originally Posted by hotbarrels View Post
    So how would you rate it Tahr in comparison to the other BRKs for boning? Scandi grind compared to convex?
    Damned good. The grind is actually a convex-scandi (not a flat grind) and it glides over bone without digging in. I use it for most of my boning at home.
    The sharp tip and shape is also good for doing the bum hole but it will prick the guts when opening the paunch if you are not careful. The trick when gutting with a scandi or pointy knife is to use the knife cutting edge down when opening, rather than inside out (cutting edge up)...if you understand what I'm explaining. Or trying to...silly old bugger that I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Tahr View Post
    Damned good. The grind is actually a convex-scandi (not a flat grind) and it glides over bone without digging in. I use it for most of my boning at home.
    The sharp tip and shape is also good for doing the bum hole but it will prick the guts when opening the paunch if you are not careful. The trick when gutting with a scandi or pointy knife is to use the knife cutting edge down when opening, rather than inside out (cutting edge up)...if you understand what I'm explaining. Or trying to...silly old bugger that I am.
    So you have just shot an animal and skinned it and are ready to bone it out with your favourite boning knife. Do you reach for the Scandi or the Blackwater II (or something else)?

Quote Originally Posted by gadgetman View Post
    I just use one of these for breaking an animal down and boning it out. Have done a few deer, massive pig, pigeons, hares, rabbits, .... Just drag the blade over unglazed bit of crockery to sharpen it. Guessing I'm not a knife junkie.

https://www.southernhospitality.co.n...ing-knife.html
    I do the majority of my fish with one of these, epic little knives, especially given I paid 9 bucks for it
    gadgetman likes this.

If only victorinox and opinel could make some proper fixed blade hunting knives and arrow blades...

Victorinox make a pretty full range of fixed blades - Victorinox Kitchen Knives | Victorinox Slicing Knives

I have one of their skinning knives which I use as a camp knife. Its a nice knife, but lacks 'personality'.

Name:  40639__93755.1414338045.1280.1280.jpg
Views: 238
Size:  55.1 KB
    Friwi likes this.

Banned
    Taking a closer look at the mighty bahco, it is in fact either a restamped or direct copy of a mora clipper. Using 12c27 sandvik steel which is a reasonably performing 'affordable' stainless.

The Bahco is about $11 at George Henry at the moment.