Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Darkness Terminator

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567
Like Tree176Likes

Thread: Ballots. Rigged or not

Pauline Hansin is a Her?
    "Hunting and fishing" fucking over licenced firearms owners since ages ago.

308Win One chambering to rule them all.

R93
    Quote Originally Posted by Dicko View Post
    It sounds like we have just found our Pauline Hanson of the West Coast and we calling for foundation members of NZ One Nation here! This discussion is a bit xenophobic and should really be about how to provide more and better hunting experiences for all hunters, rather than banning west island hunter and other non resident hunters who actually do spend a fair bit of money to hunt here when then come to NZ through car hire, food accomadation, plane tickets most of which goes to local businesses and GST to Wellington.

Better game animal management, GAC is a good start, more money going back into managing populations etc. Resident and non resident licensed, pointed ballots to increase the chance of getting a tag etc. The issues you bring up have been addressed in many other countries. The US and canada do a pretty good job on these. The answers are not going to be palatable to guys who have good access to animals and country at there back door 12 months of the year though because you may well have to give up something as more locals want to hunt and have a better hunting experience.
    You seem to have complete faith in the game council which to me is a worry.
    Game management? You are deluded.
    It will only ever happen on private land or a unique herd. Not red deer thar or Chamois.

Plane tickets, rental cars and food go to big business and not into the community like guide and accomodation fees will.

Don't really care what Canada and USA do as they make huge money out of non resident tags. We never will. You can't just rock up and hunt there like a non resident can here.

Had a mate bid 30k US on an elk tag this week and got out bid.
    US economy is too strong.
    Come to NZ and hunt by all means but not for fucking free and at the expense of me or my mate up the road. We deserve some priority to go hunt where we live.
    Last edited by R93; 30-04-2015 at 10:55 PM.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

Tommy, that was a joke mate.
    R93, I worked on both islands in the 90s and do come over each year to hunt with local mates or go solo. If you want to change things you have got to use what's working for you and harness it to achieve you goals. Understand that DOC really only wants to reduce animal numbers. However in NZ there seems to be a slowly building understanding that these animals have value. Increase the window a bit more. Bring in non eligibility periods for those that have drawn. Lots of things to look at to make it more available but need to balance it with too much hammering. Hard to argue against ground hunting when you have WARO going on.

Tommy, that was a joke mate.
    R93, I worked on both islands in the 90s and do come over each year to hunt with local mates or go solo. If you want to change things you have got to use what's working for you and harness it to achieve you goals. Understand that DOC really only wants to reduce animal numbers. However in NZ there seems to be a slowly building understanding that these animals have value. Increase the window a bit more. Bring in non eligibility periods for those that have drawn. Lots of things to look at to make it more available but need to balance it with too much hammering. Hard to argue against ground hunting when you have WARO going on.
    I don't see what WARO has to do with any of the ballots?

R93
    AATH effects the hooker/Landsborough ballots as you pay for your block and as of 1st June maybe earlier a helicopter can come in your block and shoot a bull from under your nose. Waro is allowed as well but unlikely at that time of year.
    Haast roar ballot is closed as we know.
    Do what ya want! Ya will anyway.

AATH should be banned outright, I will sign that petition.
    Blaser and blake like this.

Quote Originally Posted by veitnamcam View Post
    AATH should be banned outright, I will sign that petition.
    They can do what they like on private land but definately shouldnt be allowed on DOC administered land.
    The Claw and R93 like this.

Yes I should have said the same.

It sounds like we have just found our Pauline Hanson of the West Coast and we calling for foundation members of NZ One Nation here! This discussion is a bit xenophobic and should really be about how to provide more and better hunting experiences for all hunters, rather than banning west island hunter and other non resident hunters who actually do spend a fair bit of money to hunt here when then come to NZ through car hire, food accomadation, plane tickets most of which goes to local businesses and GST to Wellington.

Better game animal management, GAC is a good start, more money going back into managing populations etc. Resident and non resident licensed, pointed ballots to increase the chance of getting a tag etc. The issues you bring up have been addressed in many other countries. The US and canada do a pretty good job on these. The answers are not going to be palatable to guys who have good access to animals and country at there back door 12 months of the year though because you may well have to give up something as more locals want to hunt and have a better hunting experience.
    No ones talking about banning offshore hunters, they should be able to come and go freely and do what they want on PRIVATE land.

As for ballots and other access to NZ PUBLIC land, paid for and administered out of the public purse ( MY taxes ), no....piss off.

I sure as hell don't get reciprocal rights at your place, can't even bring my own firearms without a mountain of paperwork, and as for travelling interstate, that's the icing on a shit sandwich.

B

Oh the irony.
    Copied from the internet, so it must also be true !

'Tahr were introduced here as part of the Department of Tourist and Health Resorts efforts to encourage overseas hunters to visit our shores.'
    Reference. Guided Tahr Hunting in New Zealand, Thar Hunting NZ | Canterbury Tahr Hunting Guide NZ
    I had hoped to read something along the lines of 'gifted to the people of NZ' for a water tight rebuttal.
    But that was loooong time ago and it is now a different era, so for me it's still tuff titties regarding public ballots for tourist hunters. There is a whole private industry for that.

Quote Originally Posted by Pengy View Post
    Where would you draw the line though Macs? Golf clubs? Surf boards? Tramping boots?
    Bio security is tougher coming into nz than most already, despite occasional hiccups.
    Exactly. Boots are probably the biggest offender lately (hello didymo) and we can't exactly make them all buy boots every trip .