Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Create Account now to join.
  • Login:

Welcome to the NZ Hunting and Shooting Forums.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Terminator ZeroPak

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By 257weatherby
  • 4 Post By Timmay

Thread: Big Animal 129 SST

Big Animal 129 SST

Just wondering if anyone has shot a large deer say a big stag with a 129 SST in 6.5 x 55 Ive shot goats pig and fallow and a red spiker but nothing big. I'm thinking maybe 140 SST would be better? Any thoughts? Cheers.

sneakywaza I got
    Inside 400yds or so the 130gn SST, out of a 6.5x55 will do just fine. Big reds are not hard to kill clean if you get the shot right to start with.
    Dougie and Danny like this.

I use boring old 120gr Pro Hunters out of my 6.5 at a glacial speed of 2550. Still kills reds dead, lungs, neck or head.

Ive shot a few big stags now with 100gr soft points with the 243. Never lost one animal or had any run any distance. Shoulder shots fu k them everytime.(plus neck, chest shots ) 6.5 using those will do the business no problem. No need to go to 140, shot placement is the key. Shoulders a certain dead deer

Whacked my huge stag way out past 400 with my 139s. As said before, placement is key.

(Impact values were 2178fps possibly less as its chopped down to 16" now since I last chronied, 1464fpe)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    She loves the free fresh wind in her hair; Life without care. She's broke but it's oke; that's why the lady is a tramp.

Rule 4: Identify your target beyond all doubt

I use the 129sst in my 260. One big bastard took 3 shots at about 50yds, 1st went into its back(missing spine), 2nd went into its front shoulder(front on) then the last went straight through the vitals and he dropped on the spot. So thats an example of what happens when you dont hit them in the right spot.
    Another bugger took 3 shots at 200yds all to the front shoulder and into vitals and kept walking before he dropped. He was dead on his feet after the 1st I think but I dont take any chances on nice stags anymore. Shot heaps of lighter deer with them and they fall over easy as but they dont make very exciting stories.

Its probably sweet but those times when shit dont go to plan you might be better off with the 140s, I dunno. 10gr probably wont even be noticeable.

Thanks team that is all super helpful and I feel much clearer about that. Was kinda fretting what if I run into a big stag. (If? I mean when of course...) 😃